Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #1

Share |

Installing New Windows?

Not sure where this goes, so I'll put it here.

I currently have the old wooden framed windows in my house. I will eventually be putting in new vinyl windows, but just not going to be to soon. My question is can I go ahead and put new trim around the inside, and will it interfere when putting replacement windows in? I don't think it will be any problem, because the replacement windows will be put in from the outside. I just wanted to get clarification before I actually went out and bought all the trim. Currently I am doing a lot of painting and just want everything to look updated, instead of the old wooden trim and windows.

Here is a pic of what I am talking about. Its the best I have to describe what kind they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing New Windows?-misc.-windows-7.jpg  

ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:03 PM   #2

Installing New Windows?

WS,
Normally the small piece of trim in your pic that the casing butts up to comes out. Then the sashes and the parting stop molding in between them comes out. The stop that the storm windows are attached to stays in place. Storm windows come off and are discarded. The new window fits in the space where the old sashes were, then the small molding next to the casing you originally took off, goes back in. You shouldn't have to touch the casing. Not sure how they are going to do them from the outside, nor why would you want to. I have done everything from the inside including removing the storms.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #3

Installing New Windows?

What would be the proper way to measure for replacement windows then....according to the picture? I've got more pics of the inside of that window if you would like them. I think that I could put replacements in myself, if I just new how to measure for sizes.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #4

Installing New Windows?

WS,
you have to measure as if the jamb liners aren't there. I would take one window apart to see how deep the jambs are without the liners in. Then you could add this amound (x2 to take into account both sides). For the height, drop the top sash down some to expose the pocket it normally sits in when closed. Measure from there to the high point of your sill where your inside sash sits when closed. I would check these measurements in a few spots in each direction (up and down) to make sure the window opening isn't racked. If you find a variance in measurements, take the smallest (tightest) measurement. Take these measurements to where you are going to buy the windows from. Some manufacturers make the windows to the exact size you give them. Some will automatically cut back each dimension by aprox. 1/4" to allow for a little clearance to get the windows in and be able to shim them so they are level and plumb. You want an 1/8" on each side for clearance. The windows should come with and expander piece of vinyl that sits on top. This will take up any slack on top and allow you to get the window in easily. If you window fits to within a 1/4" or less in height, you won't need the expander. Just take your time and doublecheck your measurements. Once you order the windows, they're yours. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, some places will send a person out to measure and charge a small fee to do this. Might be good insurance against mis measuring.
Mike Hawkins
Old 07-23-2010, 02:13 PM   #5

Installing New Windows?

I actually think thats how me and my dad measured them. I can't remember the measurements, but I might go home and remeasure and post them up to see if they sound like a normal measurement. Are the jamb liners the metal strips behind the smallest wooden trim in that pic?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #6

Installing New Windows?

Also, what would you use to finish around the outside when replacing them?

Here are two pics of what it currently looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Installing New Windows?-misc.-windows-12.jpg   Installing New Windows?-misc.-windows-15.jpg  
Old 07-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #7

Installing New Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws450r View Post
I actually think thats how me and my dad measured them. I can't remember the measurements, but I might go home and remeasure and post them up to see if they sound like a normal measurement. Are the jamb liners the metal strips behind the smallest wooden trim in that pic?
Yes the jamb liners are the metal pieces in your pics. They keep pressure on the sashes so you can lift them and have them stay in place. Some have spring ballasts as part of them to counterweight the window sash weight.
Mike Hawkins
Old 07-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #8

Installing New Windows?

Quote:
Also, what would you use to finish around the outside when replacing them?

Here are two pics of what it currently looks like.
You could have a siding guy bend up some aluminum coil stock and cover the exposed wood. On the first pic, the wood is just painted. The second pic the window frame is already covered. You would have to cover just the small wood stop that is exposed when you take the storm window off and possibly recover the sill. There will be some wood exposed from where the storm window sat on the sill.
Mike Hawkins
Old 07-23-2010, 02:59 PM   #9

Installing New Windows?

Could a person just paint what more is uncovered like they already did? I think this is all starting to make a little more sense to me after 8 months of wondering how to do it.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #10

Installing New Windows?

Quote:
Could a person just paint what more is uncovered like they already did? I think this is all starting to make a little more sense to me after 8 months of wondering how to do it.
Sure you could. Just clean it real good, scrape off any loose paint and old caulk. Prime any bare wood and paint it. Main thing is getting it fairly clean and get rid of any loose dirt and debris from your prepwork.
Mike Hawkins
Old 07-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #11

Installing New Windows?

Sounds good. I'm going to get a window company come out and measure, that way I know they are right. Can't beat free estimates. I think I'll order them and install them myself, depending on the price.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #12
Home Performance

Installing New Windows?

There are two ways to install windows. An interior install is where you remove interior woodwork and remove the sashes,etc., and install the new window from inside the home. This is usually the way diyer's install. Professional installations are typically "outside installs" where the blind stops are cut out and everything is done from outside. No interior woodwork is touched, and the exterior is typically capped with aluminium.... If you are planning on having a professional out to your home, please remember that time is money. Calling him out with the intentions of "using" his free estimate just for the measurements is not very considerate. Further, many installation companies don't give out "exact" measurements for this very reason.

Last edited by HomeSealed; 07-24-2010 at 02:50 PM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #13

Installing New Windows?

I'm not "using" free estimates if I order them from the company and put them in myself. Companies also add a little on top of the final price to make up for the "free estimates" as well.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
Mod

Installing New Windows?

Quote:
Sounds good. I'm going to get a window company come out and measure, that way I know they are right. Can't beat free estimates. I think I'll order them and install them myself, depending on the price.
Your plan won’t work.

I dought anyone is going to give you exact ordering measurements with a bid.

Windows are typically priced in 6” increments. When I’m bidding windows I measure for pricing, all I have to do is be close with the measurements and can walk through your house in a just a few minutes and get what I need for pricing.

Measuring for ordering takes more time because obviously I need to get it right. I’m not going to spend that extra time in your house for a job I may not get.

That’s just how I do it anyway.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-25-2010 at 06:38 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
Home Performance

Installing New Windows?

Quote:
I'm not "using" free estimates if I order them from the company and put them in myself. Companies also add a little on top of the final price to make up for the "free estimates" as well.
I apologize if I misunderstood you... Just giving my $.02, and trying to save you some potential problems if you were thinking about doing that... The one thing that I would clarify is that companies really don't add any cost for the "free estimates". You are likely either speaking with a comissioned salesperson, or an owner. If you don't purchase anything, those hours spent on measuring and estimating your project go unpaid. For someone to choose another company legitimately is the nature of the business, however it really is poor form to just use the "free measurements". If you are in fact planning on ordering from the company, then you really don't even need to worry about the measurements. They will measure them professionally and place the order. All you do is write the check and install them....... I realize I'm not going to get anyone to feel sorry for window salesmen since the have the unfortunate, and many times deserved reputation for being "sleazy", however there are many of us out here that do genuinely have the customer's best interest in mind, and are just trying to make a living.

Last edited by HomeSealed; 07-27-2010 at 03:07 PM.
HomeSealed is offline   Reply With Quote