Installing New Kitchen Backsplash - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Installing new kitchen backsplash

I am installing a new tile backsplash in my kitchen. I am using a 2x2 / 2x4 slate tile with a backer. My question is whether I need to use a mastic adhesive or if regular grout will do the job of holding the tile in place on the wall. I've commonly seen a mastic used, but usually with ceramic tile and I don't know if it can be used with a natural stone tile.
The walls that are receiving the tile are finished walls, do any of you recommend putting on a primer first or some sort of waterproofing? thanks for your help!

Advertisement

tjgesquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can't use grout for installing tiles. Grout is for grouting, not adhering.

I would suggest removal of the finished wall behind the tile and installation of either a tilebacker cement board (wonderboard, durarock, hardiebacker) or at least some clean drywall.

Mastic works, but thinset works better. I'd personally opt for thinset over mastic for most applications. Dry mix works best, but you can buy pre-mixed tubs of it. Thinset would probably adhere to the paint, but installation of the backer would ensure it will.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Nia

Rewards Points: 25

I would definitely use the dry thinset that you need to mix. Mix small batches and apply in small sections on your wall because it will dry fast on you.
Nia is offline   Reply With Quote