Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #1

Share |

Installing New Interior Doors... Question.

First time installing doors. I'm going with just the slabs instead of pre-hung. I bought a router and jigs for the hinge mortis and latch plates. On the first door I did, I installed it in the jamb, shimmed it to fit the way I wanted and marked my hinge points. I mortissed the hinges and re-installed the door. Everyhting was perfect except the door is too wide. Come to find out, the original doors are 29-7/8" wide and the slabs are 30" wide. I bought a power plane to take the 1/8" of material off, but some guys at the office are telling me it won't work.

Question is, what is the "proper" way to shave the door edge down? Can I use the power plane with any success?

Thanks!

TPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:08 PM   #2

I'd trim the door with my table saw. But, I don't have a power plane. The plane should work just fine but make sure you keep it square to the door edge and don't try to take off too much material with each pass.

bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
I'd trim the door with my table saw. But, I don't have a power plane. The plane should work just fine but make sure you keep it square to the door edge and don't try to take off too much material with each pass.
I'll be sure to keep it square... I was told it would make the edge "wavey". But I'm not sure how that would happen, with the way the gaurd is set up on the power plane. I need about an 1/8", so I'll take 2 passes @ 1/16" each. The plane does up to 3/32" per pass.

Worse come to worse, the doors are only $25, a small price to pay for experience!

Thanks,
Tim
Old 12-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
timthetoolman

Yea i'd use the planer if i were you. I've used this in the past with no troubles. I would first draw a line preferably on the hinged side (for appearance) where you will be shaving it down to. Then it is a good idea to score the top and bottom of the door at your line with a razor knife. This will avoid the planer chipping the bottom and top of door with each pass, which does happen. And walah your door fits.
timthetoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthetoolman View Post
Yea i'd use the planer if i were you. I've used this in the past with no troubles. I would first draw a line preferably on the hinged side (for appearance) where you will be shaving it down to. Then it is a good idea to score the top and bottom of the door at your line with a razor knife. This will avoid the planer chipping the bottom and top of door with each pass, which does happen. And walah your door fits.
Cool, I'll try that. And yes, I was going to do the hinge side anyway.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #6

I'd use the jointer (ideally) or the tablesaw, because the hand power plane will be much less accurate.

However, it can certainly be done. Draw a dark pencil line the length of the cut representing the desired depth to be removed. Take light passes of 1/32" or so and plane to the line, just removing it.

Sand the edge and chamfer the edges with sandpaper.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
fhi vinyl windows

If you use a planer they generally have a bevel so keep changing your direction or you will end up with an ugly angle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #8

Thanks for the input fellas. I used the power plane last night and it worked perfectly. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and it really did a nice job. I took 2 passes with it set at 1/16", then I set it to 1/32" and did a nice 45* bevel on the edge.

With the house being built in 1968 and my reluctance to buy pre-hung doors, this plane will come in handy over the next few days (years).

BTW, I'm using the Ryobi HPL51K.

Crappy cell phone pic: