Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2010, 02:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Installing Kitchen Cabinets Questions ??

Hey all,

I probabaly won't do a great job of explaining this but here goes.

I am going to be installing kitchen cabinets in an older cabin. The particular run of cabinets in question is a wall to wall run of about 13 feet. One end (the far left side) will have a 90 degree lazy susan corner cab and the other end (far right side) of the run will have a 24 inch base. There are 5 cabs in between. The floor is approximately 3/4 of an inch out over this run. The high spot is the end where the 24 inch base will be (far right side).

I know conventional methodology would be to find the high spot, set the first cab level there and shim the rest. But in this case I want to do just the opposite.

The perpendicular wall at the end of the run on the side where the corner lazy susan is (far left side) will have a stove and then another corner lazy susan on the other side of the stove. This is the low spot. What I would like to do is set the corner lazy susan (far left side) at the begining of the 13 foot run and then run to the 24 inch base at the other end (far right side). In this case I will need to scribe or undercut the bottoms of each cabinet as i go.

I know that's a lot more work, but I am wondering if there are any "gotchyas' or "red flags" or tips or suggestions that you may have? Luckily there are no dishwashers or anything on this run to be concerned with, just base cabs.

If I do this conventionally, and start out at the high end, by the time I get back to my stove wall I will be 3/4 of an inch too high for a knee wall that is across the room and runs parallel to the 13 foot run wall.

What complicated matters just a little bit is that my finish wall material is 1X6 tongue and groove knotty pine, running horizontally. So I want to make sure I am not only level but following the line of the paneling too

I am sure I made little to no sense here but if you can provide any inisght it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Tom5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #2

Post pictures of the situation.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #3

There is another thread around someplace that this member has been provided adequate information about this issue.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
old guy contractor

My thought is.....
.....why wouldn't you set the stove and lazy susan area first since that seems to be the area you are most concerned with matching the horizontal 1x6.
Keep that area full height so the stove sits properly to countertop height and then work your way back.

Rule of thumb:
Always try to start in the corners and work your way out.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
There is another thread around someplace that this member has been provided adequate information about this issue.
How about letting me decide when I have adequate information about the issue.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
My thought is.....
.....why wouldn't you set the stove and lazy susan area first since that seems to be the area you are most concerned with matching the horizontal 1x6.
Keep that area full height so the stove sits properly to countertop height and then work your way back.

Rule of thumb:
Always try to start in the corners and work your way out.
Thank you for your response.

Actually what you suggest is what I plan to do. The problem however is that this is the low point of the room and not the high point where one would typically start base cab installation. So when I start on the stove/lazy suasn wall, I will be at the ideal height, but when I make the run to the other end, the base cabs will end up being 3/4 of an inch too high. Thus my need to scribe the bottoms of the cabinets as i go down the run. I was just basically looking to see if anyone had ever done it this way and could offer any pointers. I think I'll just dive in and give it a shot.

Thanks.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #7
old guy contractor

The bottom line is you're going to have to scribe the bases anyway you look at it.
One idea to minimize it is to built up the low point 3/4" as long as the stove will adjust to that height.

This will also make the end cabinet look better because the toekick will be full height.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
The bottom line is you're going to have to scribe the bases anyway you look at it.
One idea to minimize it is to built up the low point 3/4" as long as the stove will adjust to that height.

This will also make the end cabinet look better because the toekick will be full height.
Yeah I am giving that option some thought as well. The other variable if I take that approach is that I'll need to raise the top edge of a knee wall about 3/4 of an inch too. That's easy enough. The knee wall runs perpendicular to the stove/lazy susan wall and parallel and across the room from the long run in question.

Thanks you again.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #9
old guy contractor

Tom
Sounds like you're on track
Building up a kneewall is a lot easier than having to cut it down.....

Pics would be good......

God luck
Tom
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Ultimatetouch

It sounds like you guys have it worked out. Its obviously more work to do it like you described. If you didnt want to install the kitchen cabinets like that you could raise the stove up to meet the countertop. Speaking of starting at the high spot.

Old 11-08-2010, 04:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetouch View Post
It sounds like you guys have it worked out. Its obviously more work to do it like you described. If you didnt want to install the kitchen cabinets like that you could raise the stove up to meet the countertop. Speaking of starting at the high spot.

Yes that is certainly something I am considering. The other thing that comes into play doing it that way is that I would have to build up my knee wall as well. Easy enough to do that. I have a little while before I have to decide for sure. Putting in the hardwod floorring first so that will give me sometime to decide what approach to take.

Thanks all for the great tips.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
Ultimatetouch

There is a reason why this is the most common aproach when installing kitchen cabinets. It saves time and labor. Usually the time spent scribing is not worth the reward. We have done scribing on baseboards when people want a tight fit with no shoe moulding in an entire house. Its very uncommon though.

ultimatetouch is offline   Reply With Quote