Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #1

Share |

Installing a cat flap/pet access door on a standard interior panel door?

Hey guys!

I've got pretty bog-standard white panel doors throughout my house. Now, my little one harassed the cats big time, and I'd like to install a cat flap in the basement door so that they can come and go as they please without the little girl trying to love them to death.

However, looking at these doors, I'm not positive that there's a way to install it at a height that the cats would be able to readily access it - the bottom part is roughly 8 inches high, then the panels start. However, most install instructions I've found online recommend the install be between 4-8 inches off the ground for ease of access for the cats.

Add to that the fact that, on the stair-side of the door, there's only about a 3 inch ledge for the cats to walk down onto.

Would it be easier for me to just install the cat flap flush with the ground, with the door swinging roughly 6 inches above the floor, so as not to crash into the panels as well? Or has anyone else had luck installing something like this onto panel doors?

Thanks!

Gord

GordCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
DIY staff

That will be a challenge--are these the cheap hollow masonite doors or nice solid wood 6 panel doors?

Just a thought---you don't need a flap--just an opening,right?

Is it possible to cut an opening into the drywall so you don't trash the door? A cased opening with trim looks nice and drywall is easy to repair if you ever sell the house---Mike---

Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That will be a challenge--are these the cheap hollow masonite doors or nice solid wood 6 panel doors?

Just a thought---you don't need a flap--just an opening,right?

Is it possible to cut an opening into the drywall so you don't trash the door? A cased opening with trim looks nice and drywall is easy to repair if you ever sell the house---Mike---
Yeah, it's a cheap Masonite door, issue with a passthrough from the drywall is that the wall is curved leading down, as well

Thinking that maybe a different door might be optimum?
GordCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #4

Just cut the door...easy enough to replace down the road. You can always hang a curtain in the opening...cats figure these things out very quickly....or you could just replace the door with one without panels
The Following User Says Thank You to Missouri Bound For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #5

This one works for my fat cat. Its 5" from the floor. We just cut the cheap door and added a little frame inside. It keeps the kat box in the far corner of the basement where it belongs
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a cat flap/pet access door on a standard interior panel door?-img00339-20120308-0647.jpg  
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
Missouri Bound (03-08-2012), oh'mike (03-08-2012)
Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #6

Caats can pretty much fit through anything they can get there heads in...although that "fat cat" could be an exception.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #7

I call him rastacat. Notice the dreadlocks on his back. He's too fat to reach his back to groom himself properly.
Don't judge

Actually, in his defense I will say his size is not due to sheer laziness. He's bloated from water retention. Ya thats it. He can't get enough water. haha

Even the dog is scared of him
Attached Thumbnails
Installing a cat flap/pet access door on a standard interior panel door?-img00340-20120308-1008.jpg  

Last edited by creeper; 03-08-2012 at 02:36 PM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #8

Get a flat cheap masonite door that has not been machined for hinges or door knob for the existing jamb.
Then cut your hole, cut filler strips to go in between the door skins. Paint it up, Install cat flap.

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote