Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

Installing a basement subfloor around floor drains

Hi All,

This is my first post. I am finishing my basement and am in the process of putting in my subfloor.

My basement is a level concrete slab with cinder block walls.
I do not have any moisture problems, but am installing a moisture barrier anyways.

On the walls, I first put Drylock.

On the floor I put down 1/2" rigid foam with a 1/4" gap on all sides. I filled the 1/4" perimeter with "Great Stuff" expanding foam. I tuck taped all of the joints and laid them off center.

On top of that I am laying 3/4" treated OSB (nailed down with powder driven masonry nails).

On top of the OSB I am going to be installing vinyl tiles. This part of the basement will be where my wife does laundry.

I have 2 floor drains in the concrete. Both are 4" black PVC pipe. One is used to drain from my HVAC/water heater. Another is not used for anything. (pictures attached).

My questions are:

1. For the drain used by by my HVAC/water heater, is it OK to simply cut out a square in the subfloor for access, or do I have to raise it so the top is flush with the new tile floor?

Installing a basement subfloor around floor drains-hvac_drain.jpg

2. The drain that is not used - can I just cover over it with my subfloor? Do I need to do something special to plug it?

Name:  unused_drain.jpg
Views: 4300
Size:  71.5 KB
There is water in the bottom, but I do not plan on using it for anything. If I can't cover it, how can I raise it up and make it level with the tiles?

I also have a standpipe where my laundry and tub drains into.

Name:  standpipe.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  73.2 KB

I'd like to avoid calling a plumber.
Thanks much!

--Michael

temetnosce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 PM   #2

Bump on this. I'm in the same boat and wondering if I need a cut out in the carpet and subfloor to access the drain or can I just caret over it.

thien_to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #3

You don't have to raise the drain to the new floor height but it'll look better if you do. You really need to cover the not used drain otherwise smell can enter into the room or the moisture will damage the floor above it. Just trim around the cleanout drain.
rebelranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #4

I sure hope you meant a subfloor that's T & G like Advantec not just reguler square edged OSB.
Your also missing a step, You should not attach glued down tiles to OSB There needs to be a layer of 1/4 underlaymant sanded plywood layed so the seams do not line up with the seams below, attached every 4" on the edges and every 6 to 8" in the field.
Then fill in all the seams and flaws with nongypsom floor leveler or the flaws will show through the tiles.

Last edited by joecaption; 08-06-2012 at 04:44 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement, drain, remodel, subfloor