Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Installed a new Styrene tub, getting ready to tile above. Durock, or hardibacker?

Going to use roofing felt vapor barrier, then CBU,then tile. With all the different types of backerboards out there, I'm wondering which I should use. Wonderboard, Durock, hardibacker? If it makes a difference, the backer board will mate up with drywall where the common wall goes from wet area to non wet area. I'd rather keep the cost as low as I can while still doing the job right.

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Installed a new Styrene tub, getting ready to tile above. Durock, or hardibacker?

any are okay. Still need to seal the seams and apply waterproofing like Redgard over it.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Do not use Redgard if you install a vapor barrier behind the cementboard, one or the other, not both, I would use cementboard and Redgard

Or, for tub surrounds, Wedi Panel or DensShield, both products work well too.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Thanks guys... I hadn't mentioned waterproofing because I had read not to do it if I was going with a vapor barrier, as you suggest I shouldn't... but I also had read that the barrier was better than waterproofing, I'm glad to see you suggest hardi and guard, that was kinda the way I wanted to do it.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote