Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Install granite countertops first or stone backsplash??

I would like to know what should be installed first, the granite countertops or the tile backsplash and why. I'm assuming it is the countertops because then the tile can be done right on top of them.

ncoppola09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Counter top....ALWAYS first.

The countertop sets the height of where your backsplash will sit.

Additionally, walls are not completely straight. When you install your granite countertop, there usually ends up being small gaps between the top and the wall(s). So, the backsplash also serves as a way of covering over those gaps and imperfections.

Good Luck

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

what is your opinion?
what is your boyfriends opinion?
what is your father in laws opinion?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #4

HAHA! Redline you remember me. Well, the reason I'm asking is because my father-in-laws opinion is to put the backsplash first and common sense tells me it just doesn't make sense to do it that way, my boyfriend naturally has the same opinion as his father partly because he just doesn't want to deal with arguing with him. how do I convince him to do it my way, I haven't broached the subject with father in law yet, the granite people are coming on friday to measure and he wanted me to call and push the date back so he could do the backsplash first which doesn't make sense to me. Little does he know I am not rescheduling, he'll find out on friday when they come and then he'll get an attitude with me then I'll have to tell him that I want the countertop in first, he is going to try to argue with me. I don't know much about this construction and remodeling stuff so he's gonna try to make me feel like I'm stupid when i try to offer a different approach. Someone please help me
Old 02-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #5

Will the sink be intergrated with the counter top or will it be put in before or after the counter is installed?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:49 AM   #6

Here is a link to show your FIL.

http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projec.../kitchen_6.htm

Here are a few quotes from website:

Quote:
If you're installing a countertop first and applying a separate backsplash later, the backsplash will cover any gaps between the wall and the top.
Quote:
You can install backsplashes after the countertop is secured, especially if you've ordered granite or solid surface which can't really be scribed to fit flush with an imperfect wall.
A ceramic tile backsplash, for example, can effectively hide any gaps there and keep water from dribbling down the wall. And a backsplash doesn't require a special backerboard so you can apply the tiles directly to the drywall.
Pluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #7

I would ask the counter top installers if it is better to put the back splash on first or the counter. If they say it is easier for the counter to go on first then tell your father in alw that the counter people want to put the counter on first. If the back splash is installed first then the counter people may have to charge more to work with the backsplash. And if the backspalsh is installed too high or too low then the counter top people will not like to have to correct some elses mistake.

(It is better to put the counter on first)

Your father in law could technically put the back splash on first and leave the bottom row of tiles off until after the counter is put on but that is putting the cart before the horse.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

We have remodeled many kitchens and bathrooms over the years and we have NEVER installed a backsplash before the countertop.

In 22 years in the construction and remodeling industry....I have NEVER even seen a backsplash installed before the counter top.... It defies all installation logic....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
We have remodeled many kitchens and bathrooms over the years and we have NEVER installed a backsplash before the countertop.

In 22 years in the construction and remodeling industry....I have NEVER even seen a backsplash installed before the counter top.... It defies all installation logic....
Absolutely right. There's no need to ask the installers or anyone else.
Countertops ALWAYS go first..PERIOD!
jbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

So, update? What happened?
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #11

I suggested that the poster ask the installers and then pass that info along to the father in law and boy friend. That way the poster will not have to get greif from the father in law and boyfriend.

It is always better to do the counter first.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

I read the thread, i was interested in the outcome of the countertop install, who's opinion won out.....
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #13

hey guys, well I knew the right way to do it all along and you would think since it is my house that the A*****E would listen to me but no of course not, anyways it blew up into a big argument and then it so happens that later that day he was at the barbers and the guy in the chair next to him was a granite installer and he told him he was wrong. This situation is just too FRUSTRATING for me to talk about, I absolutely HATE HIM. If he hadn't been at the barber shop with that guy then he would probably still want to do it his way, He has caused way too much grief and I can't wait to be done with all of this. Thanks for all your posts.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

This is what good marriages are made of. Of course I mean everyone else’s not yours. Your father-in-law is an idiot (I mean that in the kindest way) I wouldn’t let him touch anything in the house. This is a remodel hell in the making and you guys may not make it out the other side. Tell your (boyfriend husband) to get a pair and from what I can see in this and the last post listen to the only intelligent one in the family. Well I am sure this will not be the last post we see in this continuing saga of the Devil-in-law remodel.
HAASEMAN2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #15

well, this project is almost over. Believe me, I didn't know what the devil in law was really like until this started. The only reason we bought this house was b/c it was so cheap and the devil was doing the work for free, we just paid for materials, etc otherwise if we had to pay someone to do ALL the work it just wouldn't be worth buying the house. I had no clue it was going to be like this. My bf is a lawyer, he is not handy at all and doesn't know the first thing about construction or anything like that, and I really am not either so he thought whatever his dad said to do was the right way to do it. My bf was basically appeasing him and coddling him the whole time b/c he knows what a pain in the a** he is and he just wanted him to finish the house so we could move in. I don't think I can talk about this anymore it is a HUGE source of frustration for me, it's almost done. At least I know I'm not crazy and all you guys agree with me.