Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Share |

Install door in drywalled opening?

I am trying to add a door where there is already a drywalled hallway opening. The opening does not go to the ceiling, it is in the shape of a door so there may have been a door there in the past (60's home). Do I just strip back the drywall a bit and go for it to install a prehung door? How should I start out?

BeMurda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

That is correct. Once you remove the gypsum from within the opening, you can get the rough opening size. Or just measure now, and figure probably 1/2" wallboard if a newer home, anything built this century could have 5/8ths on the walls. Anything early century that is Plaster & Lathe or Rock-Lathe could be 1".

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #3

Thanks. I have a photo here, looking for a bit more guidance. The house is a 1963 Canadian bungalow.

This is entering into our kitchen which is recently redone, so I absolutely do not want to remove more drywall than necessary. I want to minimize patchwork. In the photo pictured, where must I actually remove gypsum?

I have also included measurements. what size of prehung door do you think would be best, and does anyone foresee any issues with these measurements for the opening?
Attached Thumbnails
Install door in drywalled opening?-imag0154.jpg  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #4

http://www.sawkerfs.com/Rough_Openings_For_Doors.html
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

How deep is that landing? It will look odd, having a door then a door in a area that normally you would not for a airlock.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #6

I would use a 32" BY 80" door, You may need to cut it down for width (whole nother topic). you should be able to use 2 & 1/4" casing around it. You will need to add to the jamb or make a custom one.
Now having said that usually you can not have a door at the top of the steps, you need a minimum of 3'.
I am guessing there was no door there before.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #7

Mae-Ling nailed it, those steps will cause some real "issues".
Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #8

Hi all,

What issues will the steps cause exactly? I don't get it. I spoke with a person at home depot and he suggested I would not have to remove the drywall. We figured it would open inwards towards the wall on the right of the photo. Is he out to lunch? I bought a 32" by 80" prehung door.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMurda View Post
Hi all,

What issues will the steps cause exactly? I don't get it. I spoke with a person at home depot and he suggested I would not have to remove the drywall. We figured it would open inwards towards the wall on the right of the photo. Is he out to lunch? I bought a 32" by 80" prehung door.
One problem, is that it is a safety issue. Second you spoke with some idiot in a Orange cape at Home Depot.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
One problem, is that it is a safety issue. Second you spoke with some idiot in a Orange cape at Home Depot.
Fair enough, haha... The safety issue, if it opens into the room and not onto the stairs, doesn't seem major though. Unless I am missing something I can live with that arrangement. Where on the photo would I actually have to strip back the drywall?
Old 05-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Experienced

I believe the 36" requirement if for exterior doors, interior doors at the top of stairs isn't a problem from what I know, have seen them many times.

IRC

R311.3 Floors and landings at exterior doors. There shall be a landing or floor on each side of each exterior door. The width of each landing shall not be less than the door served. Every landing shall have a minimum dimension of 36 inches (914 mm) measured in the direction of travel. Exterior landings shall be permitted to have a slope not to exceed 1/4 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (2-percent).
The width of each landing shall not be less than the door served. Every landing shall have a minimum dimension of 36 inches (914 mm) measured in the direction of travel. Exterior landings shall be permitted to have a slope not to exceed 1/4 unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (2-percent).

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 05-04-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackofall1 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #12

Thanks. Do I just need to remove the drywall for the 5 inch depth space where the door will be placed?
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeMurda View Post
Thanks. Do I just need to remove the drywall for the 5 inch depth space where the door will be placed?
Yes absolutely, you will want to do that for a couple of reasons, to allow a more secure install and to gain the added width back from the drywall.

You will be putting case mouldings around the door anyway so removal of the DW is no big deal. There should be a metal corner bead on each corner, just to let you know, when you start removing the DW.

Mark
mae-ling (05-07-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #14

It is right, you can install a door there but if it do not creates unnecessary problems. Before do this i think you sholud take advice from any shutters and doors services providers. They will suggest you a right option.
------------------
Shutters

payalmittalmay is offline   Reply With Quote