Inspectors Inspecting Other Areas? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
weekend warrior

Rewards Points: 150

inspectors inspecting other areas?

I'm remodeling a house. A lot of things are probably not upto code. I'm not one to cut-corners, but I can't fix everything at once...

If I pull an electrical permit and have the inspector out... Does he have the right/obligation to inspect/report other areas of the house?

For instance, all my walls are open and some of the window framing isn't correct. The house has stood for 50+ years as is, so it isn't going anywhere. I'll fix it, but I just don't know when I'll get to it. Will this cause me a problem down the line?

Advertisement

johnny331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
fhi vinyl windows

Rewards Points: 150

Unless your town/county is very large most of the inspectors share office space. If you are doing the other work without permits you might have an issue.

Advertisement

fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Agent 000

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
If I pull an electrical permit and have the inspector out... Does he have the right/obligation to inspect/report other areas of the house?
Generally speaking, a remodel won't come under as much scrutiny as an addition. Anything built a number of years ago, is what it is, and they (the inspectors) won't give it a second thought... as long as you don't touch it during the remodel and assuming that it's not a hazard. A good example of that is; the current requirements for window size and placement are very strict. If your old windows don't meet current requirements then they can't force you to change them. But any new work you do must be up to code. This could get a little sticky if for example your existing electrical outlets are ungrounded and you're adding new ones. They may require you to upgrade the older outlets in the immediate vicinity to bring things up to standard.

If you're doing an addition one of the things they can require you to do is to upgrade your smoke detectors in the entire dwelling to powered units and to have the number and placement of the smoke detectors changed to meet the code requirements. I'm not sure what else they may look at.

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 07-16-2007 at 09:15 AM.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

When we added on the inspector said "I will see smoke detectors here, here..."and so on. I was told that if the inspector must go through rooms to do the inspection he can require changes in those rooms to get things up to code.

Michael
yknotdoit is offline   Reply With Quote