Input RE: Updating Exterior Window Trim - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Input RE: Updating Exterior Window Trim

I am planning on replacing the old cedar shake siding on the front of my house with Hardie shingles. Some of the exterior window trim (brickmoulding) is not in the best of shape so, in conjunction with the siding project I would like to update the window trim. My windows are replacement style, double-hung windows in wood frames. My initial thoughts are to remove the brickmould trim, cut the outside edges of the sill and then frame them all the way around with either 1x4 or 1x6 Hardie trim. Has anyone ever done this or does anyone have any other suggestions that would look good with the Hardie shingles?

Thanks in advance.

Greg~

Advertisement

Greg D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,518

I wouldn’t do it. If you cut the sill flush with the wall and trim over that than that seam you created is a potential leak. Any water that gets in there will run down the wall behind the siding. Even with caulking it will find it’s way there eventually.
I’d just replace the brick mold with new.

Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

i agree.but there are some situations where the windows may be in a protected area where this detail could be used with careful detailing
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

By "outside edges", I assume you are talking about removing the horns from the sill ends and picture framing the window. I say NO/NO/NO. Picture famed windows are the ultimate in cheap, crappy construction methods IMO. Ride around and see how much better a house looks with more traditional sill and trim than picture frame. Consider replacing the brick mold with an Azek duplicate if you are worried about longevity. If the Azek is too pricey for your budget, get a quality wood molding and backprime it completely before installation, being sure to do all the cut end grains when fitting it. Most importantly, don't skip the head flashing above the window; the cut rate practice of just caulking the siding and window trim is a gaurantee for trouble.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote