Infill Subflooring/hardwood At Relocated Return Air Vent: - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2012, 03:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Infill subflooring/hardwood at relocated return air vent:

All,

As a part of my master bedroom remodel, I'm moving a wall that has a return air vent that is approximately 30" long located inside of it. I'm not sure how to infill this opening in the floor, so that it is approprietely supported, and will not squeak when the hardwood floor is repaired.

I have 3/4" T&G subfloor with 3/4" red oak hardwood finish flooring. Since I don't want to pull up the hardwood, is there a good way to infill this opening without disturbing the adjacent hardwood?

-Kiel

Advertisement

Optical1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,204

Do you have access to the floor from below?

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #3

We recently had the same issue. We moved the register to another wall and filled the space with subfloor and supported with 2x4 to prevent squeaking from underneath. We also covered the floor with 5 inch Red Oak planks. Virtually invisible when walking around to even tell that it is there.
To be honest, we moved 2 walls and wanted the floor to standout more than it is. Honestly, we have trouble seeing the difference between the 5 in and 2 1/2 in flooring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical1 View Post
All,

As a part of my master bedroom remodel, I'm moving a wall that has a return air vent that is approximately 30" long located inside of it. I'm not sure how to infill this opening in the floor, so that it is approprietely supported, and will not squeak when the hardwood floor is repaired.

I have 3/4" T&G subfloor with 3/4" red oak hardwood finish flooring. Since I don't want to pull up the hardwood, is there a good way to infill this opening without disturbing the adjacent hardwood?

-Kiel
dvmbound1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 536

Got a picture?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Got a picture?
Attached are three photos. One overall shot, and one for each joist bay.

-Kiel
Attached Thumbnails
Infill subflooring/hardwood at relocated return air vent:-image-2890502750.jpg   Infill subflooring/hardwood at relocated return air vent:-image-3091863351.jpg   Infill subflooring/hardwood at relocated return air vent:-image-949785434.jpg  
Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk
Do you have access to the floor from below?
Yes. The basement is unfinished below the opening. Probably should have mentioned that in the first place...
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #7

We had the same situation. Need supports for the subfloor. It was 2 pieces of 2x6 attached to each floor joist as a support. Subfloor over that and attach to 2x6 or joint. Our subfloor was 3/4" plank but 3/4 plywood works as well and we just cut it to fit the space. Just make it level. Now you are ready for flooring.
You will need to be more exact on shape of subfloor repair if you plan to carpet. We were using hardwood so not a large concern.
The bigger concern is where you are going to place the intake. Ours was easy with a simple move to an adjacent wall. Did not even have to adjust duct work so hopefully yours is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optical1 View Post
Yes. The basement is unfinished below the opening. Probably should have mentioned that in the first place...
Old 11-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmbound1977
We had the same situation. Need supports for the subfloor. It was 2 pieces of 2x6 attached to each floor joist as a support. Subfloor over that and attach to 2x6 or joint. Our subfloor was 3/4" plank but 3/4 plywood works as well and we just cut it to fit the space. Just make it level. Now you are ready for flooring.
You will need to be more exact on shape of subfloor repair if you plan to carpet. We were using hardwood so not a large concern.
The bigger concern is where you are going to place the intake. Ours was easy with a simple move to an adjacent wall. Did not even have to adjust duct work so hopefully yours is the same.
Thanks for your input. I wish that relocating my return air vent was as simple as yours was. Unfortunately I believe that my situation will be more difficult. I'm going to need to either relocate it to keep it in the hallway it is currently in, or reduce the size and install multiple registers for intake. I'm not particularly looking forward to that bit. How hard was it to install a new return air vent in an existing wall?
Old 11-26-2012, 11:54 PM   #9

All i really did was make a hole in the wall and build a box to isolate the air flow. I then attached the intake cover to the wood/drywall. You do not need a direct duct just some place to get air from. The important part is to make sure there are no gaps in the duct you make just like the one in your wall that is behind the plaster. My intake is just a peice of sheet metal attached to the joists. Simple stuff. Also make sure the opening is similar size to the old one. Ours was the shape of yours and now is a square. You can make it any shape as long as the size is similar.
[QUOTE=Optical1;1061238]Thanks for your input. I wish that relocating my return air vent was as simple as yours was. Unfortunately I believe that my situation will be more difficult. I'm going to need to either relocate it to keep it in the hallway it is currently in, or reduce the size and install multiple registers for intake. I'm not particularly looking forward to that bit. How hard was it to install a new return air vent in an existing wall?[/QUOT

Advertisement