DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Remodeling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/)
-   -   Infill subflooring/hardwood at relocated return air vent: (http://www.diychatroom.com/f15/infill-subflooring-hardwood-relocated-return-air-vent-164725/)

Optical1 11-26-2012 02:40 AM

Infill subflooring/hardwood at relocated return air vent:
 
All,

As a part of my master bedroom remodel, I'm moving a wall that has a return air vent that is approximately 30" long located inside of it. I'm not sure how to infill this opening in the floor, so that it is approprietely supported, and will not squeak when the hardwood floor is repaired.

I have 3/4" T&G subfloor with 3/4" red oak hardwood finish flooring. Since I don't want to pull up the hardwood, is there a good way to infill this opening without disturbing the adjacent hardwood?

-Kiel

md2lgyk 11-26-2012 06:41 AM

Do you have access to the floor from below?

dvmbound1977 11-26-2012 08:42 AM

Replacing Hardwood
 
We recently had the same issue. We moved the register to another wall and filled the space with subfloor and supported with 2x4 to prevent squeaking from underneath. We also covered the floor with 5 inch Red Oak planks. Virtually invisible when walking around to even tell that it is there.
To be honest, we moved 2 walls and wanted the floor to standout more than it is. Honestly, we have trouble seeing the difference between the 5 in and 2 1/2 in flooring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optical1 (Post 1060576)
All,

As a part of my master bedroom remodel, I'm moving a wall that has a return air vent that is approximately 30" long located inside of it. I'm not sure how to infill this opening in the floor, so that it is approprietely supported, and will not squeak when the hardwood floor is repaired.

I have 3/4" T&G subfloor with 3/4" red oak hardwood finish flooring. Since I don't want to pull up the hardwood, is there a good way to infill this opening without disturbing the adjacent hardwood?

-Kiel


joecaption 11-26-2012 08:44 AM

Got a picture?

Optical1 11-26-2012 02:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption
Got a picture?

Attached are three photos. One overall shot, and one for each joist bay.

-Kiel

Optical1 11-26-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by md2lgyk
Do you have access to the floor from below?

Yes. The basement is unfinished below the opening. Probably should have mentioned that in the first place...

dvmbound1977 11-26-2012 04:38 PM

We had the same situation. Need supports for the subfloor. It was 2 pieces of 2x6 attached to each floor joist as a support. Subfloor over that and attach to 2x6 or joint. Our subfloor was 3/4" plank but 3/4 plywood works as well and we just cut it to fit the space. Just make it level. Now you are ready for flooring.
You will need to be more exact on shape of subfloor repair if you plan to carpet. We were using hardwood so not a large concern.
The bigger concern is where you are going to place the intake. Ours was easy with a simple move to an adjacent wall. Did not even have to adjust duct work so hopefully yours is the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optical1 (Post 1060902)
Yes. The basement is unfinished below the opening. Probably should have mentioned that in the first place...


Optical1 11-26-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvmbound1977
We had the same situation. Need supports for the subfloor. It was 2 pieces of 2x6 attached to each floor joist as a support. Subfloor over that and attach to 2x6 or joint. Our subfloor was 3/4" plank but 3/4 plywood works as well and we just cut it to fit the space. Just make it level. Now you are ready for flooring.
You will need to be more exact on shape of subfloor repair if you plan to carpet. We were using hardwood so not a large concern.
The bigger concern is where you are going to place the intake. Ours was easy with a simple move to an adjacent wall. Did not even have to adjust duct work so hopefully yours is the same.

Thanks for your input. I wish that relocating my return air vent was as simple as yours was. Unfortunately I believe that my situation will be more difficult. I'm going to need to either relocate it to keep it in the hallway it is currently in, or reduce the size and install multiple registers for intake. I'm not particularly looking forward to that bit. How hard was it to install a new return air vent in an existing wall?

dvmbound1977 11-26-2012 10:54 PM

All i really did was make a hole in the wall and build a box to isolate the air flow. I then attached the intake cover to the wood/drywall. You do not need a direct duct just some place to get air from. The important part is to make sure there are no gaps in the duct you make just like the one in your wall that is behind the plaster. My intake is just a peice of sheet metal attached to the joists. Simple stuff. Also make sure the opening is similar size to the old one. Ours was the shape of yours and now is a square. You can make it any shape as long as the size is similar.
[QUOTE=Optical1;1061238]Thanks for your input. I wish that relocating my return air vent was as simple as yours was. Unfortunately I believe that my situation will be more difficult. I'm going to need to either relocate it to keep it in the hallway it is currently in, or reduce the size and install multiple registers for intake. I'm not particularly looking forward to that bit. How hard was it to install a new return air vent in an existing wall?[/QUOT


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved