Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Increasing cavity depth for OTR microwave, fridge

I'm replacing my OTR microwave and my fridge with a new ones. The new OTR will stick out even more than the old one. The new fridge is sized the same as the old one, but it sticks out 5" from the 24 1/2" cabinet.

Any thoughts on opening up the wall immediately behind them and trimming the studs down to increase the cavity depth and reduce the protrusion of the new units?

Microwave considerations:
I realize that having the OTR microwave stick out a bit improves the vent hood effect. I also realize that for microwaves:
- that the microwave can't be made flush with the upper 12" cabinets because the microwave's door may need to be able to swing open past the cabinet handle beside it. (However, my current microwave door requires zero clearance on the left.) ...that venting either upward and out as our is, or to the front may require some protrusion from the 12" cabinet face

- that I may find pipes, etc. behind the drywall

- I'll need to attach the rear hanging rail to something behind the unit that is flat, square and secure.

Note, I'll likely have to cut the backslash tiles down to deal with the new unit's slightly increased height. Also, both sit against the same non bearing wall against a main floor washroom covered with a wall to wall mirror.

Any thoughts on this? Would it be easy to gain 1" - 2" depth?

FYI This person considered the option of spacing the cabinets out from the wall. Not an option for me but interesting idea.
Over the range microwave and offsetting 12 deep wall cabinets

Last edited by KinNorth; 09-30-2012 at 12:00 PM.
KinNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,030

I like the idea of recessing the fridge into the wall, we have done it in new homes.

Assuming there is nothing in the wall in the way that can't be easily moved what we did was frame it like an interior door, header needed if it is a load bearing, not needed if it is not. Then we ripped 3/4" off of 2 - 2x4 cut to the height we wanted, these get put on the sides with 3/4" plywood put on the back side. then drywall on the ply and 2x4 edges. use short screws into the plywood and/or adhesive for the drywall.

This gives an added 2&3/4" depth.

I think you could use 2x4's turned on the flat for that area, you'd have gained 2" depth.

mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

Yeah my fridge actually sticks out 6" beyond the cabinet (then add the handle). We've lived with it this way for 12 years and it's been fine, and not even noticeable to us, but recessing the fridge would be an improvement.

I'll have to find the photos I took during our renovations 12 years ago of the un-drywalled.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

it may need to stick out a couple of inches for the door to open
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

cabinet depth fridge?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #6

The 2' deep fridges cost a fortune. Plus our opening is 33" wide so our choices seemed very limited.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae-ling View Post
I like the idea of recessing the fridge into the wall, we have done it in new homes.

Assuming there is nothing in the wall in the way that can't be easily moved what we did was frame it like an interior door, header needed if it is a load bearing, not needed if it is not. Then we ripped 3/4" off of 2 - 2x4 cut to the height we wanted, these get put on the sides with 3/4" plywood put on the back side. then drywall on the ply and 2x4 edges. use short screws into the plywood and/or adhesive for the drywall.

This gives an added 2&3/4" depth.

I think you could use 2x4's turned on the flat for that area, you'd have gained 2" depth.
This sounds so nice!!! People literally spend small fortunes on their kitchen cabinets and countertops and then have appliances that don't look integrated, but stick out into the room. Crazy!
Old 10-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Minor point here, but how do you plan on pulling the fridge out if need be, with it that tight and recessed back?

Had one like that at work, it took two of us putting all the strength we had into our fingers a few minutes to nudge it out. PITA.

AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote