Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #1

Share |

Increase the height of base cabinets/countertop to 36"

My cabinets are 34 inches above the finished floor (they are existing cabinets so I don't want to raise them from the bottom). It looks like they were installed on the subfloor so I lose a half inch with my finished floor. There is no countertop installed yet, but I plan on getting a silestone countertop that is 1 1/4 inches. This would make the total height 35 1/4. I need it to be 36 inches to fit my slide in stove and dishwasher. Can I put a layer of 3/4 inch plywood under the silestone to raise the height? Will it look bad? What can I do to mask the plywood once the countertop is installed.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
My cabinets are 34 inches above the finished floor (they are existing cabinets so I don't want to raise them from the bottom). It looks like they were installed on the subfloor so I lose a half inch with my finished floor. There is no countertop installed yet, but I plan on getting a silestone countertop that is 1 1/4 inches. This would make the total height 35 1/4. I need it to be 36 inches to fit my slide in stove and dishwasher. Can I put a layer of 3/4 inch plywood under the silestone to raise the height? Will it look bad? What can I do to mask the plywood once the countertop is installed.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.
Usually a dishwasher fits under the countertop. You will need to raise your the top of your cabinets up at least 2".

Old 10-21-2009, 05:22 PM   #3

Most dishwashers require you to have 34.5" of space from the floor to the bottom of the counter top. Slide in ranges do vary. So I beleive that 3/4" will solve your problem. It will look out of place though under the top. Try to find some thin molding that can be installed over the edge of the plywood.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:47 AM   #4

Seems like a waste of lots of plywood unless the support is required by the counter top. Why not use 1x2 and build a simple frame on top of the cabinets? As the poster above point out, you will need to find some thin molding that can be installed over the edge. The company that built the cabinets might sell scribe that is wide enough to work to this and it will match the cabinet very well.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabinets, countertop