Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

I'm torn regarding the floor in my kitchen

I am getting ready to sand, restain and refinish the hardwoods in my living room and hallways in the spring ... I really would like to take this opportunity to take out the tiled kitchen floor and install unfinished wood flooring to match the rest in the hall and living - so I would have hardwood throughout and then just staining and finishing it all at once.

My problem is, I hate my cabinets, but don't have the money to change them just yet. It seems like not such a good idea to install new floor around them if I am going to be changing them in the future - but I have no idea when I might be able to afford new cabinets.

What should I do?

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

You could remove the existing base cabs and install the floor to the wall and then reinstall the old cabs. If you are careful it shouldn't be a problem. Its possible the cabinets were built in place if its an old kitchen. Even then its still possible. Just try and figure out how they were installed and go in reverse.

Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #3

J,
No easy way out on this one. What Brik said is doable. Probably a pita, but doable. What do you have for countertops now? If laminate, you would probably end up replacing your backsplashes. Chances are they aren't going to come off intact. You could always put a single row of tile in place of the old splashes.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:40 AM   #4

I vote for removing the bottom cabinets too, and putting them back in. When you do actually replace them you might decide to change the layout and it would be bad if you had a spot without flooring after going to all that work.

Also, a hardwood floor will probably be at a different level than the tile floor, so that could cause problems with appliances down the road.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
They're all fixer-uppers

Thanks to all... To add some more info - the countertops are laminate. The backsplashes are the same laminate...
Attached Thumbnails
I'm torn regarding the floor in my kitchen-photo.jpg  
Old 01-02-2010, 12:12 PM   #6
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

I cant tell for sure but it looks like tile is under the cabs now. It will be a messy job to take that out but if you want hardwood you need to do it. The countertops look like they will come out easily with out much problem. Just a razor to cut away the caulk where they meet the laminate on the wall or they may even just pull away. They are attached with screws from underneath, inside the cabinets. The cabinets are screwed into the wall studs most likely. The hardest part will be removing the tile floor and prepping for the hardwood. This isnt a weekend project. You will need to set up a temporary kitchen. It will take as long to do what you are contemplating as it would if you were doing new cabs and counters for a complete kitchen re-do.

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 03-04-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: removed advertising links
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #7
They're all fixer-uppers

Thanks.. the tile is around the cabinets, not under.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 AM   #8

My vote would be just leave it alone. Could be 5 years before you decide to remodel your kitchen. That would be 5 years of wear on your hardwood floors in the kitchen that may have to be refinished anyway. Could change your mind by then.