Im Gonna Rebuild A Small Apartment. Any Tips? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Im gonna rebuild a small apartment. Any tips?

Hey guys!

Im new to this forum and dont have much building experience.

In 1 or 2 months time Im gna start renovating a apartment in Sweden. The goal is to rebuild the entire apartment.

The apartment has an area of circa 50-65m2 (560-790 square feet) and has kitchen + bathroom + living room + balcony. I will completely rebuild all the rooms including the bathroom and installing a new kitchen.

Anyone got any tips?

Im thinking of making a thread for the entire project so ppl can follow it. What u think of this?

Many thanks for replys :D

Edit: why isnt my profile picture showing?

Advertisement

Last edited by victorfelix.a8; 08-13-2012 at 02:50 PM.
victorfelix.a8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can post in projects so people can follow progress. Go for it.

Do you own this unit and how so? Is it a condo or part of a coop building where you share responsibility for common systems and so forth. Do you need condo or coop board approval for what you have in mind?

Do not underestimate the possibility of surprises especially when you get to the plumbing systems and sub-floor components. Consider the impact of your renovations on your neighbors and their willingness to put up with things that might impact them like service interruptions, work on common floors/ceilings and walls, etc. Use of elevators or stairs for getting building materials in and demolished components out?

Make sure you line up contractors you are going to need for electrical and plumbing and confirm that their schedules can mesh with your plans or you could find yourself stranded. Make sure you get all your permits and pre-plan inspections as best you can. Have you gotten all building permissions and done neighbor notifications? Where are you going to plunk the dumpster for debris?

That sounds like a small city apartment which is fine but I hope you have a place other than it to stay in at times as you proceed with this project.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 08-13-2012 at 08:23 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Do you own this unit and how so? Is it a condo or part of a coop building where you share responsibility for common systems and so forth. Do you need condo or coop board approval for what you have in mind?
I will own the unit and its part of a coop organization. Therefore Im not allowed to modify bearing walls, windows, concrete subfloors, roof, balcony, plumbing, electricity and a few other commonly shared systems.

It is allowed and no approval is required if I want to rebuild the bathroom, kitchen and any other rooms. I can change flooring, repaint walls, knockout non-bearing walls and so on. Mostly all the "inside" work is allowed as long as I dont affect the buildings structure or neighbours unit.

Quote:
Do not underestimate the possibility of surprises especially when you get to the plumbing systems and sub-floor components. Consider the impact of your renovations on your neighbors and their willingness to put up with things that might impact them like service interruptions, work on common floors/ceilings and walls, etc. Use of elevators or stairs for getting building materials in and demolished components out?
Ill do my best to keep the neighbours happy by doing intensive loud work when their at work and having good transport planning.

Quote:
Make sure you line up contractors you are going to need for electrical and plumbing and confirm that their schedules can mesh with your plans or you could find yourself stranded. Make sure you get all your permits and pre-plan inspections as best you can. Have you gotten all building permissions and done neighbor notifications? Where are you going to plunk the dumpster for debris?
Since Im not allowed to modify electricity and plumbing there wont be much need for hiring those services. But ill make sure my planning syncs with the people I will be depending on.

Waste and debris will be recycled at the public recycling stations, this is free of charge as long as its your own waste.

Quote:
That sounds like a small city apartment which is fine but I hope you have a place other than it to stay in at times as you proceed with this project.
Ye there is high demand for these small units due to stockholms rapid urbanization and the high housing-shortage.

The plan is to buy a apartment in need of a complete makeover, fix it up, and sell high.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #4

If im lucky i might be doing a smaller job before this one.

My family needs to have 2 bedrooms + bathroom redone. So if this looks promising ill start another thread dedicated to that job including pics and more.

Please ask more questions if u got some, I need all the input I can get.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

ah ha, house flipping in europe...i'm curious what the differences would be. I've done the same with a condo here in canada.

Here, the key is to get the unit at the right price in the right market, put money into the fixes, but don't overspend on what the value of the place is-If it's not in a real high end neighbourhood don't splurge on all high end fixtures, you probably won't get good value for your money.

Plan on surprises as mentioned, and plan on it taking longer than you expect, if you are new to this kind of thing. I'm curious to see pics as well..
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would see if you can work with someone who has been through a few flips. And find one that does nice work and not just cosmetic things and with $$$ (or kroner in your case) signs in their eyes. Some flippers here have really destroyed property values. Nothing annoys condo or coop owners more.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
DIY-er

Rewards Points: 75

Most common improvements in your case include: new flooring, modernizing the kitchen (new counter, cabinets), updating bathroom, and adding in a specialty item such as a partially knocked out wall, columns, built-in shelving, half-wall or fireplace. The most important thing to consider is the style - whatever you choose should be consistent throughout. Painting is important, so choose the colour wisely - and it is amazing what updated appliances can do to improving the quality of the appearance. I have other tips on my website http://www.home-additions-startup-gu...cor-ideas.html
KevinPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Special User

Rewards Points: 632

tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #9

Sorry for the inactivity, ill be "flipping" a condo some time later this year.

I started a thread in the showcase section. Please check out my current project: My first construction job: Remodel Bedroom + Corridor. Pics included! Help is welcome

Advertisement

Last edited by victorfelix.a8; 09-13-2012 at 02:49 PM.