Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ideas for a attic room with heavily pitched walls - turning into guest room

I purchased a home with 2 finished rooms in the attic. One is quite large and i have made it into a game room but the other is smaller and i want to make it into a guest room.

It has heavily pitched walls starting at 3'6" high so that makes allot of things tough, like not being able to half wall art. I am 6ft tall and i hit my head on the wall when i am 2ft from it so there is 6ft 6in of walkable width to the room without ducking.

I'm not afraid of making built ins. I plan on moving my queen bed up which is very tall mattress with pillow top but i could possible go with something else if needed. I planned on my brother and sister in law staying in this room when they visit. My brothers 6ft 3 so his feet hang off the bed a little. All of the stuff in the room currently in the pics will be removed (and it will be speckled and painted nicely)Any ideas?

blur1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,146

So what's the question?
None of that even looks like a room that was built with permits or meets codes.
Lack of head room and legal egress.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
So what's the question?
None of that even looks like a room that was built with permits or meets codes.
Lack of head room and legal egress.
Its doesn't count towards the house sq ft. Code enforcement looked at it (when i purchased the home as a foreclosure it was already as u see it in the pic) and said i could keep it and the other room however due to lack of headroom it wouldn't count towards sqft. I have to label them as bonus rooms.

my question is that I'm looking for ideas on being able to best fit a bed into the space with additional furniture for the occasional guest. I have seen some pics online where people put the bed in front of the window long wise and then constructed build in book shelves to the left and right that net with the pitch of the wall as it came down.

i have also looked into adding large dormers to this room to add enough legal headroom to classify it as a bedroom however my home is already at the top of the towns price range so a large reno like that isn't going to be worth it to me for the value of the home.

Last edited by blur1221; 05-13-2014 at 07:15 PM.
blur1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 81

I would do the built in shelves like you suggested.
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote