Idea For A Clean Section Break Using Stone Veneer - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Idea for a clean section break using stone veneer

Hello, this is my first post

Hopefully somebody out there has a creative idea to solve this pickle.

I have a pass-through bar that goes from the living room to the kitchen. In the kitchen, I'm using stone veneer on the walls and wrapping it around to the bar area (in the next room) as well. The stone needs and endpoint such as the corner of a room, a cabinet, a protruding object, or something of that nature to look right. As I'm wrapping the stone around from the kitchen to the bar, I'm realizing that there is no endpoint for the stone to come to - just more wall. I was thinking that one possibility would be to add a piece of wood about the thickness of the stone to the wall and paint it the color of the wall. In the picture, the red marks are where I foresee the stone coming to an end and needing some sort of end point. For the beams, I could add wood to the face in order to make it come out from the wall the same amount that the stone would come out to create a clean endpoint. I hope that makes sense, if not, I can elaborate. Any ideas would be very much appreciated! Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Idea for a clean section break using stone veneer-stonebar.jpg  

Advertisement

tompace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,232

What is the profile of the veneer stone? You may be able to sort through a couple of boxes and find enough pieces that are straight on one side.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

Glass tile sticks.
http://www.tilestoreonline.com/Glass...ticks_s/91.htm
Old 04-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Metal transition profile.

http://www.schluter.com/2171.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Idea for a clean section break using stone veneer-forumrunner_20130406_112336.jpg  
Attached Images

QueBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you for the responses!

Quote:
What is the profile of the veneer stone? You may be able to sort through a couple of boxes and find enough pieces that are straight on one side.
It's about an inch thick. Both sides are usually rough to look natural. There are some pieces with flat sides. Some photos of installation projects use the stones vertically at the end points. I hesitate to do this as you lose the appearance of stacked stone. eg. when wrapping around corners, with a quick glance it looks like a solid piece of stone stacked up and not as a veneer.

Quote:
Glass tile sticks.
This is a good idea, and cheaper than one alternative the I had been considering which was the use of "granite pencils" at the ends:

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...db6dd3_300.jpg

Quote:
Metal transition profile.
This is a product that I hadn't considered. This would be a cost effective alternative to granite pencils, and possibly more of a clean transition.

I haven't yet made a move on this and am letting it sink in for a few days, but currently, I'm leaning toward raising the wall out to the thickness of the stone in those areas to help with the stacked stone illusion. It would give the impression that the stone is recessed and wall built out over it at those points on the wall and that the beam protrudes wider than the stone. I'll update when the project is done. Thanks for all the great ideas!
tompace is offline   Reply With Quote