Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Which master bedroom plan do you prefer?
Poll Options
Which master bedroom plan do you prefer?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #1

Share |

I need YOUR opinion on these remodeling plans

My wife and I want to remodel our master bedroom and add a master bathroom.

We've come up with competing design ideas and I thought I'd ask my fellow DIYers for their input on the two designs.

I will present both options below without specifying which is mine and express the reservations that each spouse has about the designs:

Background: 2 Story Colonial-style house with master bedroom on second floor. Room dimensions are approximately 12' x 24'. The floor plans presented are 1/4" per square = 1'.

Note: In both designs: the object on the northeast wall is a fireplace; the window on the northwest side is in brick and easily not-moveable; bed shown is queen sized; object shown as 51/59 x 21 = tall armoire.

Floor Plan 4 - Master bathroom on northwest wall. Bank of built-in storage closets on southeast wall. Upholstered bench in front of bed. Two sinks before the northwest window that will be one-way glass. One or two large mirrors will be hung from the ceiling in front of the sinks (but will not totally block the window).

http://imgur.com/bNcHD

Floor Plan 4 Bedroom area = 180 sq ft (not counting closets, but did count space where closet doors swing open).

Concern is that the two sinks will be in front of the window which is a unusual, more modern design.

Floor Plan 3 - Master bath on southeast wall. Glass panes between tub and rest of bathroom. Bathtub glass door will swing out or slide to the left (shows as swing out on plan). Approximately 15" wide tile bench at head of bath for a seat while shaving/bottles. Windows added on southeast side of tub and to the southeast wall--to the right of the sinks.

http://imgur.com/gQOH4

Floor Plan 3 Bedroom area = ~150 sq ft not counting closets or alcove where closet doors open.

Concern is that the bathroom is too big and remaining master bedroom is too small.

Please vote for the option your prefer.
Attached Thumbnails
I need YOUR opinion on these remodeling plans-master-bedroom-floor-plan-3.jpg   I need YOUR opinion on these remodeling plans-master-bedroom-floor-plan-4.jpg  

toddmanqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #2

I like #2 without the pocket door you would always leave open.Replace with a swing door hinges in the bath on toilet side. Lose the 1/2 wall for wider toilet area for cleaning, etc. I'd bump the dresser into the bedroom 8", jog the bath wall for bath storage opposite the toilet area. Move the bed over toward the closet some...

Pic. #1- 2 doors hitting, narrow area to toilet, pck. door you would never close and if you did, open with ? I have to laugh when I see doors on toilet areas without a sink to wash hands..... Minimal closet space.

Gary

Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #3

I like the first plan. Can you move the toilet to the adjacent wall, and make a walk in shower with glass enclosure, and have the tub alone?

This plan is similar to my master ensuite. Works great for us.

Good luck.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

I prefer the second plan. The only issue for me is the window. You really do want a mirror over the sink.

I don't see the need for the bump out on the first plan. The "Approximately 15" wide tile bench at head of bath for a seat while shaving/bottles." seems a bit impractical. The faucet would make it awkward to use as a seat, and I would rather have the floor space in the bedroom.

Do you plan to put a shower above the tub? If so you would have to reverse the tub (this would also get the plumbing off of the exterior wall).

Last edited by Blondesense; 01-26-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #5

i like # 2, and it would appear that no matter which design is used, you both are sleeping in the same bed...

I think I would find a home for the dresser, it is out there all alone.. maybe add some built-in drawers in the bank of closets.
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
Hardcore DIY'er

I like floor plan 3 becuase it allows you to change the orientation of the bed a few ways, where as the other isnt so forgiving of your bed location. Also has a pocket door to keep the smell locked out.
EvilNCarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:31 AM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

For those of us blond, tired, or directionally challenged:
Attached Thumbnails
I need YOUR opinion on these remodeling plans-master-bedroom-floor-plan-3.jpg   I need YOUR opinion on these remodeling plans-master-bedroom-floor-plan-4.jpg  

Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, floor plan, master bath, remodel, size