Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #1

Share |
Question

how to tile a shower threshold

i wonder if i am tiling correctly over my threshold. I cut tile across the top first, and laid it in, then i took bullnose and on the inside only (so far) i put it up the sides of the threshold, i havent done the front yet. my seam is exposed upward. is this incorrect, will water seep into my seams easier since they are exposed up?

asiatheboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #2

I normally put the bull nose on the top of a threshold. Water runs down hill, lol. To me, you always want the water to run off the tiles, not the grout. By placing the nosing on the threshold you are getting a better run off, then by trying to use the grout as a water run off, which it is not designed to do.

If I am out of wack here, please set me straight??!!!!!!!!

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #3

ok, so do i need to take that off, and if i do, how do i do it. If i am using a decorative trim, how would i do that with the bullnose? doesnt make sense to me, seems like the seam would still be up. is that correct?
Old 09-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #4

The seam is not the issue here. What you want on either side of your threshold is a downward curve, like the bullnose would give you for the water to run down off from. How the surface looks is not as important as to how it functions. You may have to cut some tiles to get the results that are needed to get the water to run off the tiles rather than pool in any area that does not have proper drainage, tile and grout are not meant to be under water for a long time without some trouble getting started

If you are using a decorative tile, you may need to rethink the placement of those tiles for the sake of being water tight. The seam may still be up, but there will need be some room for the water to run off of the tiles on the surface (i.e. the grove of the grout joints, etc.).

How to remove tiles, this is fairly easy if you have not grouted yet, break with chisel, and hammer, hammer only, five in one tool, Just make sure you cover your eyes well!!!!! Things will fly!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by m1951mm; 09-03-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:58 AM   #5

ok, you have been wonderful, guess i need to go ahead and bust up what i have. (no it has not been grouted). how much of a slope do i need?, because i dont want my shower door to lean. im new at this, and i think im doing a good job so far. (without expert eyes), and i just want it to be right. The shower door is not a sliding one, it will be one that just opens and closes.
Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #6

You do not need much of a slope for the water to drain into the shower or tub area. You should be able to attach the track for the door on any SMALL slope without hampering the opening and closing of the door itself. Just make sure that the slope is going towards the inside of the shower. A good bead of silicone on the inside track will aid in the drainage for you. Just make sure it is going downhill, no matter how slight the angle is.

In looking back on your post it sounds like you are using a frameless door, all the more important that the tile is at a SLIGHT downwards tilt to the shower pan for the drainage. This should not infringe on the movement of the door opening and closing.

Last edited by m1951mm; 09-03-2011 at 11:20 AM.