How To Remove Old Grout From Windows? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

how to remove old grout from windows?

I'm refurbishing some old steel casement windows and need to know how to remove the old grout. There are 2 types of grout on the windows: the old hard dried putty and some softer rubbery type. I'm trying to save the glass and it is really slow going.

Anybody have any suggestions other than knife and spatula? Thanks,

Peyton

Advertisement

peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

I believe you are talking about "window glazing" (DAP 33) with the hard stuff and probably a silicone material for the softer stuff. I've glazed many an older window around here and do not prefer any of the newer silicone type materials. The "real" older glazing compounds do get hard, really hard. I generally try to get a sharp blade of a razor knife under the glazing material, then pull it as best I can to get it to release from the window frame, not the glass. I use a wood chisel, I hear the out cries now, to help remove the rest, along with a brass brush the size of a toothbrush. There are some tools out there which fit into a drill motor but I have not used one and doubt that I will, too chancy on breaking old glass. My granddad taught me how to glaze older windows and each one I do I Thank him for that. Elbow grease and patience will give you a nice job. David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I believe you are talking about "window glazing" (DAP 33) with the hard stuff and probably a silicone material for the softer stuff. I've glazed many an older window around here and do not prefer any of the newer silicone type materials. The "real" older glazing compounds do get hard, really hard. I generally try to get a sharp blade of a razor knife under the glazing material, then pull it as best I can to get it to release from the window frame, not the glass. I use a wood chisel, I hear the out cries now, to help remove the rest, along with a brass brush the size of a toothbrush. There are some tools out there which fit into a drill motor but I have not used one and doubt that I will, too chancy on breaking old glass. My granddad taught me how to glaze older windows and each one I do I Thank him for that. Elbow grease and patience will give you a nice job. David

That's how I do it also.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the responses. The first 2 took forever using a utility knife to cut it out but the next ones, altho still not easy, came out much faster using a wood chisel, gently, on the grout. No magic bullet ... the wood chisel, used carefully, along with elbow grease does the job.

Peyton
peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Use a heat gun to soften the glazing. You just need to be careful about the heat and the glass.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote