Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

How to remove ceramic towel rack mounted on tile?

I have a ceramic towel rack in my shower that I need to remove. It's at perfect head- bonking height, and I'm pretty sure it's evil. The brackets are solid ceramic with no external screws. The don't appear to be recessed into the tile. I see what appears to be grout around the brackets, but the edges don't match up with any of the tile lines. It seems to me that the towel rack is attached directly to the tile. I don't care at all if the towel rack gets damaged (in fact, I'd relish it a bit), but I'd like to salvage as much of the tile as possible.
Side note: I'll post pics, if someone can tell me how to do it from a Droid phone.
Side, side note: I'm also interested in replacing the missing tile with tile mosaic, if anyone has any suggestions.

cory w. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

The big problem is finding a tile that matches the color of the existing, unless you were lucky that you have some spares laying around. As for removing it, use one of these http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/to...s-display-15pk

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,786

Those are 'lug backed' and set directly to the backer board---using silicone or thinset---

You may be most successful smacking and cracking it and removing it in pieces---

Be careful and protect the tub/shower---some damage to the backer board might occur.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,510

yeah. those are set as tiles. you have to be carefull breaking it out. as you may break the tiles you want to save.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fix'n it For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-09-2013)
Old 03-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 602

Cory, you are in an enviable position.

I have often wondered, whether it was a soap dish or a towel rack or a shelf or a tp holder, just how much can the thing hold up?

Of course there is no non-destructive testing possible. In order to find out, you have to destroy the thing you are testing.

So please make a video and come up with some way to measure how much force it takes to remove it.

You could take a bar clamp and something to make it get a grip and just pull the mounts towards each other.

It would be best if you could hang a bucket of sand from it, then add more weight.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
yeah. those are set as tiles. you have to be carefull breaking it out. as you may break the tiles you want to save.
i should have also said that = there is a hole in the (whatever is behind the tiles) and the fixture goes deeper than a regular tile, like mike said. at least mine did.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

There is no easy way. You basically chisel the brackets out with hammer and chisel. Be aware, though, that there is no tile behind the brackets. You will have to install a couple tiles that probably won't match.

brenmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote