How To Remodel Kitchen - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

How to remodel Kitchen

I'm looking into purchasing a home but the only thing that I don't like is the kitchen. Any ideas to upgrade the cabinets and such to make the kitchen look modern? I don't like the hanging cabinets from the ceiling but don't know how to plan the kitchen to make it look nice and modern. Attached is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
How to remodel Kitchen-picture-uh-f9e01a3eb45abbb74d69193a21c53a0-ps-def46187be14b3a5b07a1242cfa6cd34.jpg  

Advertisement

johnsorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

How to remodel Kitchen

New countertops, get rid of that fake brick.
There's so few usable upper cabinets I'd leave the hanging ones.
New cabinet doors.

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

How to remodel Kitchen

Is that a doorway just to the left out of frame of the picture?

I'd say get rid of the hanging cabinets but that doesn't give you much left. Could you draw up a quick layout so we can see what else is there to work with?
kevinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,692

How to remodel Kitchen

a pic from further back.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

How to remodel Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinok View Post
Is that a doorway just to the left out of frame of the picture?

I'd say get rid of the hanging cabinets but that doesn't give you much left. Could you draw up a quick layout so we can see what else is there to work with?
Basically what you see is what you get. And yes there is a door to the left just out of the frame. I was thinking that If I couldn't come up with any good ideas that I would just refinished the countertop by getting that rustoleum kit and paint the cabinets for now.
johnsorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #6

How to remodel Kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsorious View Post
Basically what you see is what you get. And yes there is a door to the left just out of the frame. I was thinking that If I couldn't come up with any good ideas that I would just refinished the countertop by getting that rustoleum kit and paint the cabinets for now.
Okay, I would at least get rid of the hanging cabinets with the glass doors and possibly keep the one behind that. That would open it up a bit.
kevinok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #7
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

How to remodel Kitchen

We had a similar situation and I cant tell you how much difference it makes when you take down the upper cabinets over the peninsular. Huge difference. As suggested we also kept the cabinet behind and were able to fashion a door from the cabinets we pulled off.

Please be careful if you take it down though, we loosened one screw and the whole thing came down just missed one of the guys helping us. Have no idea how it was staying up there full of stuff.

Robyn
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

How to remodel Kitchen

I'd get rid of that awful fake brick before I did anything else.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

How to remodel Kitchen

Neat little kitchen.

Looks like you have a lot of that medium oak, just not the kitchen cabinets but all the adjoining trim, too. So, rather than new doors and frames, perhaps you could paint the cabinets (black, for instance) and replace the pulls.

Granite counters with undermount sink, tile backsplash, burn the "brick" - all of that would help. Stick with as much classic style as you can, because burnt orange and avocado were once "modern" kitchens, too.
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25

How to remodel Kitchen

I agree with getting rid of the cabinets over the peninsula. Maybe you could cover the fake brick with bead board....easier and less messy than than tearing out weird fake brick.

I painted my oak cabinets (yucky 70's style) ....base cabinets are soft black, uppers are cream. Granite countertops are cream, black. Tile back splash is soft black, cream and dark red. Best thing I did was rip out the cabinets over the peninsula!
Kansas Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

How to remodel Kitchen

If you have a Habitat retail store, donate the cabinets & counters to them. Otherwise, if no cabinets in your garage, use them out there. People tend to destroy old cabinets, when removing, instead of just taking the time to remove so that others can use them for something like in a workshop, or laundry area. They can always be repainted, or refaced, so go by the first point.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
forcedreno2012 (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 03:25 AM   #12

How to remodel Kitchen

Your kitchen is really good. In my opinion if you don’t want to use the hanging cabinets then some other cabinets are also available with different designs and models. So, you can buy affordable new cabinets of your own choice. Otherwise you can also repaint your cabinets with a different color so that the appearance of your kitchen will be improved.

Last edited by timkitchen; 04-26-2013 at 04:58 AM.
timkitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 150

How to remodel Kitchen

You could do a lot w that. Get rid of the soffits over the cabinets. Get rid of the brick. Turn the peninsula into an island (or leave it a peninsula, your call). Get rid of the short wall by the fridge. Get rid of the light fixture - put in LED cans. Put in matching pendants over the new island and old sink.

The cabinets and cabinet hardware look dated. Don't know your budget but completely new cabinets and counter top might be good. Just depends on how into it you want to get.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:29 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,212

How to remodel Kitchen

Wow, that looks quite a bit like the kitchen in a 1940s house I used to own. The wife disliked it so much that we gutted it to the studs and started over.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote