Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Share |

How to: measure for replacement window

Hey Guys,

I'm re-doing my toddlers room and while I was just going to replace the door etc. I figured perhaps I could also replace the old wood single pane glass windows that are in his room..... Do you think this is feasible? Doesn't look to hard to remove the old one and pop in a new one to the same case?

My first (of probably many) question is what is the proper way to measure my current windows? (details and pictures help)
tb582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #2

To measure mine I pulled the casings off the inside
The original windows were single pane may years ago & the sash weights were still there
The actual 2x4 framing was beyond the sash weights/old window 1x framing
So for RO I measure out to the 2x's

I used new construction windows instead of replacement windows
I'm residing the house too, so a proper seal on the outside was not a problem

Will you be taking the outside trim off to reseal ?
Have you replaced windows before ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #3

Start reading on page #164: http://books.google.com/books?id=b93...stucco&f=false

Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #4

To replace the whole window, what Dave said. Pull off the tirm and measure the window frame. For a replacement window or sash, measure to the inside of the frame, and check diagonally to make sure it is square.

Replacing a whole window may not be simple. Often, it is necessary to remove siding and/or exterior trim. Replacing just the sash usually only requires removing the inside sash stops.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Will you be taking the outside trim off to reseal ?
Have you replaced windows before ?
Hmm outside trim, I rather not take it out, in fact if I must I'll probably not do the project.

Nope, first time replacing windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
To replace the whole window, what Dave said. Pull off the tirm and measure the window frame. For a replacement window or sash, measure to the inside of the frame, and check diagonally to make sure it is square.

Replacing a whole window may not be simple. Often, it is necessary to remove siding and/or exterior trim. Replacing just the sash usually only requires removing the inside sash stops.
Pictures below are what I'm dealing with, do you think I need to take off anything on the outside or can I simply measure, take out the old windows and replace?
Attached Thumbnails
How to: measure for replacement window-photo001.jpg   How to: measure for replacement window-photo002.jpg   How to: measure for replacement window-photo003.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 05:53 AM   #6

Try using a Zap Pak replacement window from JeldWen. Give them a call and see if it will work in your situation. I did my entire home........Good Luck....

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:26 AM   #7

This is a perfect candidate for a replacement window or sash kit. The stop molding on the room side holds in the sashes, and there is a parting bead, that the sashes slide up/down on. With those removed the sashes come out, after cutting/disconnecting the balance. You can then install new replkacement windows or sash kits. Marvin and Weathershield make sash kits. Many make replacement windows. Avoid Pella, avoid big box, avoid those cheap windows advertised in the paper, you know 60 windows for a dollar ...........and if you act today......... You don't say where you are, I use Viwinco windows, east of Miss. www.vinwinco.com.

Last edited by Just Bill; 04-15-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:03 AM   #8

Looks to still have the old sash weights on either side of the window
If that is the case then there isn't any insulation in there
So you need to open that up when you replace the windows & insulate

If all of your windows are like this then you are losing a lot of heat thru the uninsulated areas
Old 04-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #9

Thanks guys glad my windows are good candidates for replacements.

My assumptions - is that replacement windows will not require cutting the outside of the house nor removing anything on the outside of the house?

So I just want to make sure that I semi know what I'm doing before I commit so here goes:

My first step will be to measure the width and height of the window 'frames'. Which is outlined in the pic below? about 1/4' from where the window actually ends. Then the same with the height?

Go to a store and order my two double hung windows to the sizes noted above.

take out the windows - (not the frames)

.... Lets see if I'm good so far before going on
Attached Thumbnails
How to: measure for replacement window-photo002-copy.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #10

Take a pic of the outside
There is probably trim between the windows that may need to be removed
Old 04-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Take a pic of the outside
There is probably trim between the windows that may need to be removed
Here's the outside:
Attached Thumbnails
How to: measure for replacement window-dsc_0071-1-.jpg   How to: measure for replacement window-dsc_0072-1-.jpg  
Old 04-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #12

"My assumptions - is that replacement windows will not require cutting the outside of the house nor removing anything on the outside of the house?" --- Yes, no cutting. Page #177 and #180 show two types of replacement windows. Notice insulating spray (non-expanding) foam between jamb/framing after pulling pulleys. No need to open that up, there should be room to insert the straw end for foaming. Vinyl windows- measure 3/8" smaller than the jams on width where the old sashes rubbed and and for height: tight to the inside of the sill (right next to the sill board, as it slopes), minus 3/8" for play (which will still allow the stops to cover the centered gap). Remove the parting strip as in the picture.

Be safe, Gary

Be safe, Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
"My assumptions - is that replacement windows will not require cutting the outside of the house nor removing anything on the outside of the house?" --- Yes, no cutting. Page #177 and #180 show two types of replacement windows. Notice insulating spray (non-expanding) foam between jamb/framing after pulling pulleys. No need to open that up, there should be room to insert the straw end for foaming. Vinyl windows- measure 3/8" smaller than the jams on width where the old sashes rubbed and and for height: tight to the inside of the sill (right next to the sill board, as it slopes), minus 3/8" for play (which will still allow the stops to cover the centered gap). Remove the parting strip as in the picture.

Be safe, Gary

Be safe, Gary
I want to make sure that I'm measuring the proper places and that I'm able to insulate in areas where there currently is none. Maybe its my fault for not knowing correct terminology, but can you try to explain (again) where I need to measure the width and height?

Also what about the current window sill? obviously the window replacement window wont come with a sill so I guess I either just keep the current one or buy a piece of 'new' lumbar and cut to match the current one?

Is there any question of needing to insulate once the old window is out? Assuming you need to run a bead of silicone around the window to create a nice seal but what about the cavities around where the old window was?
Attached Thumbnails
How to: measure for replacement window-sill.jpg  
Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #14

answered some of my own questions with the videos below but found a new one. The 'stops' mine are all crappy and old, I would rather not re-use them. Is that possible? Can the new window come with stops?

http://www.americancraftsmanwin.com/howto_east.cfm
Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
Mod

I would replace the stops and pre-paint them too.

You could do the whole thing from the inside of the house.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 04-16-2010 at 02:07 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote