Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Share |

How To - Matching Kitchen Cabinets?

First house. Gutted kitchen. We had some Kraftmaid finished cabinets my brother gave me that are about 10-12 yrs old. We ordered new unfinished cabinets to fill in the layout. My question is, what are reasonbly easy options for making them all the same color. Either through sand/stain or paint/glaze combination. Just looking for some feedback for a DIYer who doesn't want to goof this up.

Thanks for any help

Matt

luvdairish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
STAFF

Rewards Points: 20

On this one I would hire a good painter to come in a match the finish before I sanded and refinished the older ones, as chances are the older cabinets, once stripped, won't stain the same as the new ones.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
On this one I would hire a good painter to come in a match the finish before I sanded and refinished the older ones, as chances are the older cabinets, once stripped, won't stain the same as the new ones.
Excuse my inexperience. I'm not following. If we are stripping the old ones down to bare wood, and the new ones are coming unfinished bare wood as well, won't we just be staining all fresh wood? Wouldn't that turn out the same if we are using the same wood species?
luvdairish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdairish View Post
Excuse my inexperience. I'm not following. If we are stripping the old ones down to bare wood, and the new ones are coming unfinished bare wood as well, won't we just be staining all fresh wood? Wouldn't that turn out the same if we are using the same wood species?
once stained and finished "stripping" the old ones will not take them back to a point that they would be the same as virgin wood.
framingrailman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to framingrailman For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-11-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 0

Looks to me that you will need a good painter who has experience with doing cabinets. Do a search in the painting section on this forum and you will see tons of posts about painting cabinets. It is not as easy as one would think.

I agree that once a wood is stained and finished, its pours are filled up below the surface. You can strip and get to what you Think is raw wood, but there is still residue in there. Saying that, a stain will take different on that wood v.s. raw wood. Now there is another issue, the grain of the wood. Wood is not just wood. There is pine, oak, poplar etc. and all of them take a stain differently.

You are going to have a very difficult time staining existing cabinets (striped) and new unfinished cabinets and get good results. Are the style of the cabinets the same???? after 10 or more years styles change, that is another point to work with.

www.picturetrail.com/mickey51
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to m1951mm For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-11-2011)