Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How to Learn Home Renovating

Hi All,

I have always been very interested in home renovating. Kitchens, bathrooms, living rooms, pretty much a whole house top to bottom. I was just wondering where I could pick up the skills required for such projects? I was thinking of entering a carpentry program at my local community college. I have no experience with this stuff at all and am very gun shy about starting any type of project with no skill or knowledge. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best,

Renovatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I think some courses at your community college might be an excellent starting point if you have no experience. Community colleges are great bargains IMO. You can learn the basics of carpentry, electricity, plumbing, etc. at least to the point you can have a conversation with people that will help you rehab. And to the extent you will learn what is within your DIY capabilities and not.

In addition to trade courses also learn the basics of project management. There are some great software programs for project management but understanding the principles underlying them will help you alot long term.

At some point you will have to get your feet wet and do some hands on work. I grew up around tradespeople and tools but still apprenticed, so to speak, when I decided to get into renovating antique homes. I found my willingness to work as a laborer and observer welcomed. I had been painting high end properties so was respected for that skill set.

You might think of volunteering for something like Habitat for Humanity. You will be surrounded by lots of great tradespeople and will make some great contacts in addition to some real experience. And, you will be doing a nice thing for somebody.

Whatever you do, do not jump into rehabbing---at whatever level of involvement---until you are confident you are ready or you will pay dearly. It is rewarding to fix something up but your path in doing so will be rift with countless surprises. Make sure you have 2-3 times your best estimate of what things will cost on hand or loanable to you if you take on an oldie but goody. And please do not become yet another flipper that slaps things together for appearance sake only.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #3

sdsester,

Thanks for the great advice. It is much appreciated.
Renovatings is offline   Reply With Quote