How To Insulate This Basement Wall? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How to insulate this basement wall?

I'm in the beginning stages of planning my basement remodel, and am curious what is the best way to insulate a basement wall with stone kneewall and then a ledge and then cement blocks the rest (See pics, Pics are turned horizontal sorry). I assume spray foam would be the best but don't know if its in the budget. If i were to use rigid fiberboard how would i compensate for the different depths. The basement is fairly dry sometimes damp but never wet.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
How to insulate this basement wall?-photo-1.jpg   How to insulate this basement wall?-photo-2.jpg  

Advertisement

zpoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

what is the depth difference, You could install a rigid styrofoam from the ledge up and then frame in the walls and simply insulate with roxul. the rigid will add .5 R for each 1/2", so it definitely won't hurt. you could glue it with a PL or something like that so that it stays in place.

good luck

rod

Advertisement

rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 152

do you want to frame up walls? you could bring the walls out from the wall and insulate that way
awdblazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #4

I will be building walls. there is a 6 inch difference (ledge) from the stone wall to the cement block wall.

could i just run rigid foam board up and leave a 6 inch gap between the insulation and cement block? but that would leave a gap at the floor joists. or do i cut the foam board and insulate the stone wall, ledge and then up the cement block wall? does that make sense?

thanks for the responses
Old 01-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Cut and fit rigid to top of stone wall, then cut and fit rigid from top of stone wall to top of block tight against both, then cut and fit rigid to top of the stone wall (horizontal).

Studs from pressure treated floor plate (on concrete) to bottom side of floor joist. Fill void (between and behind studs) with either fiberglass or cellulose insulation.

Install wall board at least 3/4" off of concrete floor.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #6

Thanks jackofall, i think i get what you mean, i did a rough sketch sorry for the "roughness" first time using the program. in the image the orange is the insulation and green would be the new wall. does this look like it would work? also do i need to put anything between the wall and the upper insulation?

thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
How to insulate this basement wall?-wall.jpg  

Advertisement