DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

How far should insulation be from heating ducts...

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AllGoNoShow 
#1 ·
I am insulating a basement and am stuffing insulation in between the sill plate and floors in between joists. In a couple of spots the heating ducts go up in between the walls. How far should I keep the insulation away from these ducts or do I have to even worry about that at all (I mean the ducts can't get so hot it would light the insulation i would think-just want to make sure). I also have the same question with regards to the PVC exhaust pipe for the high efficency furnace-how far do I have to keep away from that as well?

Thanks!

Nick

#3 ·
As usual, Big Dave is right.....:icon_rolleyes:

(FYI- He usually answers things 'word for word'.... what I am thinking.....as I am reading the original poster's question....:thumbsup: )

My reply:

I am just "seconding" his advice... so you are 'sure' about applying the advice that he wrote you back ...

#5 ·
good to know! thanks for the replies. I am so glad I took time to insulate the basement...i found at least 8 holes that were cut in the header above the sill plate that went straight outside to a vented crawl space of an addition. One hole was 4 inches wide (I assume it was the dryer vent before the addition was put on) and just let cold air pour in. Sometimes i wonder how clueless the owners before me were....they put in a 93% efficency furnace but dont worry about the giant holes letting cold air in!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.