Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |
Question

How do you go about hiring for improvements?

I'm in need to get a few things done that I would rather hire a professional to do. Install exterior doors to code, electrical work to code, etc..

I want to avoid the premium a contractor would charge. In most of the improvement areas I am doing most of the labor myself (painting, teardown, etc.).

I haven't been in the (los angeles) area long, so I dont know any hiring options by "word of mouth"

I found a website servicemagic, but the more I think about it the more I think that it is just an advertising site. maybe its a good place to search, maybe its not, I don't know...

How do you go about finding & hiring people to do certain remodeling things?

-thanks

bokeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #2

Sometimes when you're new to an area just go to any of the Home Improvement stores and pick up some business cards at the Contractor's section. At least you could gather up several names of contractors and then go about checking them out. Call the BBB, talk to neighbors that maybe have hired one of the contractors recently............definitely get references, ask lots of questions, check out their work. Checking out work is critical in my opinion. LA probably has lots of great contractors and lots of fly-by-nights. Everyone wants to save a buck, unfortunately a quality contractor is gonna cost you some jack.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #3

Great advice from Gymschu. And also check out any local lumberyards and if you need to get a permit a visit to the local building department might steer you in the right direction. They generally won't recommend anyone but they can certainly tell you who is out there.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:00 AM   #4

Get references from family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. Then, what they said. Picking someone from a paper ad or yellow pages is like Russian roulet.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Finding someone qualified to do small jobs is a challenge.

I would suggest once you do decide on someone, start with one relatively simple project. Then you can see if you're satisfied with their quality and reliability before you commit to the whole list.
A general rule of thumb is be cautious of anyone able to start tomorrow. The best guys often have a waiting list.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote