Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #1

Share |

How do i go about buying new windows?

I am wanting to replace all my windows in my home along with replacing the asbestos siding with new siding.
I have a small home 950sq feet 10 windows and 5 small windows in my basement.ANd also a detached 2 car garage which also needs new siding.
Should i just call a couple different companys to do in home estimates? I just dont feel comfortable with pushy salesman.
And is there a ball park figure someone might be able to give me.I understand it near impossible without seeing the home but a very rough estimate would be nice.

Thanks in advance.
KG
kgressler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #2
fhi vinyl windows

The labor will vary a lot depending on what part of the country you live in. Your total project price can also very depending on your demands. I deal with windows and doors, so I will give you examples in the Boston area.
Cheap windows (bad warranty, produced by a company that might not be around to honor the warranty, poorly made) + installer that has no overhead, no insurance and will not be around if you have problems = $200 per window.

Good windows (long warranty, produced by a company that will be around to warranty them)+ installer that will service your windows if you have problems+ installer carries insurance and Workman's comp. $400-600 per window.

Product prices vary a little compared to service prices that vary alot. Go to complaints.com and read about people who pay the low bids and get the bad service. Having a product that has a long warranty that is installed correctly pays of in the long run!

When you check for prices ask the same questions (make a list) and ask of each company how their service exceeds that of other installers. If their price is based on service they should be able/willing to explain what they will deliver. I could go on for ever......
fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #3
General Contractor

The above post is accurate for what you will get. What not to do is fall for a window specialty company that offers financing (siding too). I have seen windows that cost $800 installed by these rip off artists that could have been off the sale rack at Lowes.

Generally speaking, windows and labor equal each other..$200 window, $200 install. Siding comes in at both ends of the spectrum. Good siding, $160+ a square, install, $150 which can include trim. Soffits extra. Saying your house has 950 sq/ft doesn't say alot. A 32 X 34 house will have less siding then a 20 X 45...get it? Gabled or hipped roof? I can estimate based on the peremter of a home...lets say your home is 30 x 30, that would be 120 feet of wall X 8 feet tall = 960 sq/ft of siding - windows and doors. If a house is gabled, I don't subract w/d, then I round up, 960 = 9.6 squares = 10 sq of siding plus trim. If the gables are tall, I might add for them. So you have 10 sq of siding @ $160 for $1600, $1500 to install with no soffits, 10 windows @ $400, $200 for the basement windows = $8100 quicker then spit...and this would be in Oklahoma. Hope this gives you an idea of how it works.
joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #4

Thank you for the respones guys.
So using those "window specialty company's isnt a good idea then how can i go about finding a good company?
I am new to this area so asking someone for a few referral's isnt possible.And just picking a few outta the yellow pages isnt much better.
Any help would be great.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:57 AM   #5

Not to hijack your thread but I am in the same boat as you.
I was planning on looking at ths later in the year. There are a few companies in my area that say they do both windows and siding and claim you save money when you do both with the same company. Anyone have any experience with this? I was thinking it would be better to go to one company that did each on their own.

Last edited by ERIK2173; 06-13-2006 at 09:04 AM.
ERIK2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 PM   #6

hey there a tax break for energy saving stuff like windows caulking and insulation I think like $500 you guys should look in to it.
fettycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
General Contractor

A good place to look is in your neihgborhood, look around and see who may have had this work done and maybe offer a recomendation. Smaller lumber yards will usually have a list of reputable contractors. Ask for references...matter of fact, ask for the last 3 jobs a contractor has completed...if he is good, he won't have a problem pulling his planner out of the truck and offering you the contact information for those jobs, and then check them out...drive by..stop and ask the homeowners what they think.

I suppose you can check the yellow pages, but I would not call on newspaper adds or "hot summer sale" promotions....good luck guys.
Old 06-14-2006, 08:27 AM   #8

Thanks for the response joasis.
I have seen a few houses around town with signs in the yard as the crews are working.I guess i could ask them.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
General Contractor

I know lots of people always wonder why some advertise, some don't. Well, its like this. market has a lot to do with it. My little company, 3 crews and me, are booked about 6 to 9 months in advance. I have never advertised and I do not pass out business cards. everything we get is by referral or drive bys. Reputation is number 1 in this business, and we stand behind our work. I still see "home improvement" companies sell jobs and it amazes me to no end. A salesman comes out and sells the job, an estimator measures the house/windows, and then a crew, usually a sub contractor comes along and installs them. If the company has an office and a secretary, thats overhead, plus an owner, plus the staff, plus the sub...and the HO pays for it all. If you can find a contractor, you will typically get a better deal on the windows/siding and deal with the owner...my office is in my truck.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #10

10 years ago i replaced the original windows with Milgard Vinyl on the backside of the house which gets a lot of sun. I'm also in CA which means the house settles a lot. I suspect the installer didn't do a great job since the inside vinyl framing is coming off and the sound deadening seems to be better at certain times of the year....i've read that vinyl tends to expand and contract. Instead of calling the installer, he'll have one excuse after another, i'd like to replace the Milgard with a better window. Someone recommended Great Lakes windows. What would be the best replacement window for a very sunny exposure and a settling house? Thanks.......K
Bluefishgal is offline   Reply With Quote