Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #1

Share |

how do I fix this????

ok....me and my husband had a disagreement when we were making our arches. He told me not to finish putting the bullnose beads all the way around... I wanted to finish it all the way around. His reason was because the ceiling in our breezeway was gonna be low and the middle of the arch was gonna meet with the ceiling thus it would be flat.

Now I am wondering how the heck I am gonna mud it. Should I just get round corner beads to fit in the empty spots and mud it that way or is there another? I'm thinking the first would be the easiest. I have attached 2 pics and hope that it makes what I have said alot clearer. Each pic is a view of the pic is on opposite sides of the arch.
Attached Thumbnails
how do I fix this????-0704240049.jpg   how do I fix this????-0704240050.jpg  

sarahbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

how do I fix this????

I would suggest that you install bullnose there.

Cut the ceiling sheet's edge back slightly (1/16") in order to be able to slide the bullnose vinyl trim edge up and into the area next to the arch peak.

As far as the underside of the actual arch, you might want to cut(Scribe and outline) of the area to receive the bullnose.

Then scrape the dry compound coating down a little (1/16", 1/8"? or so) in order for your vinyl bullnose trim edge to sit 'flush' with the rest of the trim .....that is already installed and coated.
If you don't, you will end up with a noticable 'bump' where you install the new bullnose piece, as it will be sitting 'on top' of the compound and 'above' the depth of the other bullnose edges...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #3
They're all fixer-uppers

how do I fix this????

Atlantic - out of curiosity - have you ever used any of those pre-manned archways like Instant Arch? Any good?
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

how do I fix this????

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Atlantic - out of curiosity - have you ever used any of those pre-manned archways like Instant Arch? Any good?
J,

No, we have never used those......Thus I cannot offer any opinion of them....sorry
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
They're all fixer-uppers

how do I fix this????

Thats cool - I was just curious. I know a guy who was talking about using it, I wasn't familiar with it until he mentioned it. I dont' see hiim much and I'm not sure if he used it or not, but it got my curiosity up.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 PM   #6

how do I fix this????

i'd definately try it when and if there is a next time... considering how much time and effort it was to make the arches ourselves. I don't know how much the cost is and never really checked in to them when we started but I'm thinking that maybe it might of been worth it.

sarahbear is offline   Reply With Quote