How Do I Finish This? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2014, 02:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

How do I finish this?

I would like to start by saying i have never done any drywall work. You can tell me to hire someone but I wont listen. So with that out of the way, how should I go about supporting the drywall that am going to use to finish this gap left by removing the wall?

Original thread about wall removal:
Please Help. Is this a load bearing wall? (wall opened up)

The wall is now gone and I'm wondering how to button this up. It doesn't have to be too pretty because i'm planning on skim coating over the whole kitchen. It has a texture that is awful and i'm going flat by skim coating.

Heres the opened up wall:

Detailed photos:

Basically there is a stud or joist running down the middle of the cut and another joist or stud is 15-16in on center away.

What is the best way to support the new drywall? Can I just put 1x screwed to each side of the drywall and then screw to that or do I need to tie it into the studs/joists? The drywall/plaster itself is super thick so I thought it might be ok to just put 1x and screw to that. please let me know what you think.

Advertisement

Whyjune1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:47 AM   #2
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 720

How do I finish this?

The first thing is you need to get straight cuts and even sizing for the replacement pieces. Cutting at the center of a stud is difficult because you'll be hitting nails or screws. I would do the 1x on the back but as mentioned, go back far enough to get it straight and at the same time, remove the jogs in the edges.

Advertisement

123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 602

How do I finish this?

Here's how I would do it.
Cut it back so it's even with the side of the studs in the wall and the rafters. (yes it will be two different widths)
Once cut back, sister a new stud and rafter on the sides and at the bottom but set it so you can use 1/2 Sheet rock.
It's easier to cut the wide pieces of rock, and takes no more work to finish.
An oscillating saw would be the easiest way to cut it.
Use paper tape not webbed.
Install the ceiling piece first.
Use a 6" wide knife to set the tape, then a 10" for the second coat, finish with a 12".
Use thin coats of mud!
Done right there's no sanding between coats, just knock off the high spots with the knife.
Main reason I'd not use the 1 X's is you would then have to back fill with hot mud to fill the gap which would take a lot more work and materials.
woodworkbykirk (07-19-2014)

Tags
drywall , remodel , skim , studs , wall