Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

How can I easily convert a french door in my apartment into a normal door?

This is a little bit of an odd question, but I live in NYC and the apartment we live in has a study that we are planning to use as a bedroom. The only problem is that the doors are french style (with 15 small windows) and we obviously would like to have privacy in the bedroom. Any ideas to seal off the windows or any other solutions to turn them into "normal" doors? We live in an apartment building so we are not going to uninstall the doors and put in regular ones. How do I cover up the windows?

neelcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,020

There are window films that big boxes and home centers carry, which could be used. They come in semi-transparent, opaque, patterns, basically whatever you want, can be cut to size, dampened in the sink, and pressed to the glass. They are held, basically, by static, I guess, because they stay in place well, but can easily be peeled off. Another option, although it would require some minor repair when removed, depending on the type of door, might be rods at the tops and bottoms of the panes, with curtains. You should be able to fasten them up with relatively small brads or screws, and, again, depending on the type of door, fill the holes with a paint or stain crayon when you later remove them.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Inform your landlord of the added bedroom usage as he/she is liable. It needs to have an egress window and be a minimum floor square footage size and possibly other requirements as well: http://illowaicc.org/uploadedFiles/I...20Openings.pdf

Gary