Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #1

Share |

housewrap

This is what I meant to post.I'm getting ready to put vinyl siding on my dads house.The house has wood siding on it now.With the wood siding on can you use housewrap over it then put your vinyl siding on, or is it best to put the 1/4in. fanfold insulation over the pre-existing wood siding then install your vinyl siding over it. Sorry for the mix up, but thanks for the quick response. amdhp

Last edited by amdhp; 10-20-2010 at 11:33 PM. Reason: not phrased right
amdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #2

housewrap

Thanks for the advice

amdhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

housewrap

Tyvek house wrap is a moisture barrier that allows air, but not water to pass through. It is usually a continuous layer that has opening cut into it and has taped seams and joints for complete water resistance.

Foam (whatever kind you are referring to) may or may not be a moisture barrier, depending on the type and the installation. If for some reason it is the type and installation is very meticulous, it could be a vapor barrier, which you do not want if you have another vapor barrier somewhere in the wall.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #4

housewrap

Dick, "Tyvek house wrap is a moisture barrier that allows air, but not water to pass through." ----- I believe housewraps are an air barrier when taped. And they let moisture pass through..... I agree with the rest, though. Sometimes I type what I don't mean also. And sometimes I say what I think, which can prove interesting. But mostly I just keep getting older..... lol
http://www.energysavers.gov/your_hom.../mytopic=11300

Gary
Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

housewrap

A bit of terminology mix-up.

When I said water, I was referring to liquid water and not the moisture in the form humidity or something similar. It all has to do with the size and bonding of the molecules. If it prevented atmospheric moisture, it would be a vapor barrier which is usually to be avoided in heating climates.

Unfortunately, there is no definitive number to identify a vapor barrier other than the arbitrary selection of a specific number as a "hard" standard to be used for the ease in administering and enforcing codes. Usually, it is simple by following the minimum code standard, but that may really not be the best for all applications. Other materials are even more arbitrary since a breathing paint can be a non-breathing paint (vapor barrier) if it is applied too thick or not at the proper time between coats. - Any definition is better than none if you have to provide a guide or for enforcement.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #6

housewrap

Amdhp, if down South, use a high perm. wrap like Tyvek (85 p.) for more vapor moving both ways, cold climate = low perm. like Typar (16p.) for vapor moving
Old 10-20-2010, 06:23 AM   #7

housewrap

85 p for tyvek?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 PM   #8

housewrap

Good catch, I didn’t even finish my sentence, let alone proof read as I NEED to do. I reversed the numbers, and wrong on the 16....oops!
Properties Typar Tyvek* What it means
Water Penetration >800 cm 280 cm Both products pass minimum requirements
MVT 11.7 perms 58 perms Tyvek is outside ideal rating between 10–20
Trap Tear 33/33 lbs 6/6 lbs Typar is 5X stronger than Tyvek
UV Exposure Rating 180 days 120 days Typar offers 50% longer UV protection
http://www.typar.com/pdfs/Typar_vs_Tyvek.pdf
Thank you, Tomstruble...

Gary
Tom Struble (10-20-2010)
Old 10-20-2010, 09:43 PM   #9

housewrap

thank you Gary