Help With Vault Project, Hip Roof - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with Vault Project, Hip Roof

Hello! My name is Brad. I'm new to DIY Chatroom, but have been lurking for months.

My project is a first floor bath renovation.

House details,

built in early 1950's
1200 S.F. Ranch
Full Basement with steal beam.
Hip Roof.
2x10 rafters that run from front to back of the home.

Now my questions for you guys is. I plan to cut out the 2x8 rafters over my bathroom and raise my ceiling up to my roof framing. I plan to drywall the angle of my roof line.

My plan was to cut out the 2x8s that span over the bathroom, I wanted to cut them back 3 inches to place 2 2x12s and box off the area over the bathroom, I would then bolt the 2x12s to my existing 2x10 rafters. and ad a 2x12 flat over the 2x10 rafters to box them all in, while screwing and bolting everywhere I could. I will then frame out with 2x4s to my roof line that is built with 2x8s . The bathroom is 6x8, so I would be removing 6 parts of my existing 2x8 rafters.

Please tell me if you think any of this might work?

I have uploading pictures of my attic area, outside shot of the side of the house with the bathroom, a diagram of my home, and my plan to remove the rafters.

Thanks for your time!
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Vault Project, Hip Roof-img_4015.jpg   Help with Vault Project, Hip Roof-img_4022.jpg   Help with Vault Project, Hip Roof-img_4025.jpg   Help with Vault Project, Hip Roof-img_4020.jpg  
Attached Images

Advertisement

stingrayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

You are proposing something that is very ambitious. The loads must be calculated to determine if what you propose will actually work. Only a structural engineer can give you the answers you seek.
Please let us know how the project goes.

Advertisement

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Rewards Points: 1,000

I couldn't follow you.
But maybe...
Just cut the joists off flush.
Frame walls the rest of the way up, nailing the studs to the sides of the joists, and up to top plates that you have nailed to the rafters that you have put blocking in between for drywall backing and to nail your pony walls to.
Use 2x6 studs so you can get r-21 or whatever it is in your news walls.
Put R-30 in the rafters.
Put drywall nailers wherever needed.

(If you nail a 2x4 over the joists before cutting, they won't be bouncing around, popping drywall nails in the other rooms, and when you nail your studs alongside them).

(This is all if I understand what you are trying to do).

Last edited by titanoman; 01-15-2012 at 07:56 PM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 678

It may be faster, cheaper less time to just build a new house with the roof lines for some reason you think you need then to go that route.
Your house will be next to impossible to live in this house while all this is going on.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
It may be faster, cheaper less time to just build a new house with the roof lines for some reason you think you need then to go that route.
Your house will be next to impossible to live in this house while all this is going on.
What are you talking about?
Am I missing something? Isn't he just "vaulting" his bathroom up to the existing rafters? One day, another for sheetrock?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixeightten View Post
You are proposing something that is very ambitious. The loads must be calculated to determine if what you propose will actually work. Only a structural engineer can give you the answers you seek.
Please let us know how the project goes.
I do have a call into a local structural engineer, I will let you know how that works out, I was just thinking that there shouldnt be much load on this small about of material I wanted to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
I couldn't follow you.
But maybe...
Just cut the joists off flush.
Frame walls the rest of the way up, nailing the studs to the sides of the joists, and up to top plates that you have nailed to the rafters that you have put blocking in between for drywall backing and to nail your pony walls to.
Use 2x6 studs so you can get r-21 or whatever it is in your news walls.
Put R-30 in the rafters.
Put drywall nailers wherever needed.

That would work, I only thought of the doubled 3x12 to box everything in and make it as strong as I could. I plan to use spray in insulation, I should be able to get around R-50

(If you nail a 2x4 over the joists before cutting, they won't be bouncing around, popping drywall nails in the other rooms, and when you nail your studs alongside them). Thats a good idea! Thanks!

(This is all if I understand what you are trying to do).
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Im only trying to bring the ceiling up to give the room some more space... Im installing 2 skylights, and I would rather not have to box the skylights out. more of a flush look I'm going for.

Quote:
What are you talking about?
Am I missing something? Isn't he just "vaulting" his bathroom up to the existing rafters? One day, another for sheetrock?
yes sir!

And... to explain a little more, The vault is going to start from my outside wall and angle up to the end of the room, witch will bring my ceiling up about 30". If you look at the 4th picture I uploaded of my roof 2x8s, that's where I plan to screw my drywall to. Simply going to drywall the roof line, with proper venting and insulation of course... follow me now?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
Disabled wood vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrayguy

I do have a call into a local structural engineer, I will let you know how that works out, I was just thinking that there shouldnt be much load on this small about of material I wanted to remove.

Im only trying to bring the ceiling up to give the room some more space... Im installing 2 skylights, and I would rather not have to box the skylights out. more of a flush look I'm going for.

yes sir!

And... to explain a little more, The vault is going to start from my outside wall and angle up to the end of the room, witch will bring my ceiling up about 30". If you look at the 4th picture I uploaded of my roof 2x8s, that's where I plan to screw my drywall to. Simply going to drywall the roof line, with proper venting and insulation of course... follow me now?
Yeah. Pretty simple.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #8

And the project is a GO! I had a local structural engineer out today, I will have my drawings tomorrow and can continue working. I will update with photos tomorrow
Old 01-16-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
Disabled wood vet

I knew you could do it.
He probably just told you that you need to double up any rafters that you need to head out for the skylights and build the walls like I said?
Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 PM   #10

Quote:
I knew you could do it.
He probably just told you that you need to double up any rafters that you need to head out for the skylights and build the walls like I said?

He told me a few things before he left.. Talking about building a knee wall in the center, around the joist's I remove, and to box in the cut area.. So I have to build a 8' long 36" tall wall.. and I will need 4 2x8s to double up the area.. I will have the drawing tomorrow.

Advertisement