Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #1

Share |
Question

help sheathing my house correctly

Hi! We have started residing my house built in 1995 in the pacific NW. It had LP lap in the front, but T1-111 on the back and sides. We started pulling off the T1-111 and sheathing with OSB, but found that the framing of the house is such that the second level protrudes over the lower framing it seems to allow the T1-111 to overlap...

We are installing lap siding now... any suggestions for how to make the walls flush instead of having the overhangs? A second layer of OSB? Furring strips? Just stick a bandboard in between and keep on siding??

Thanks!!

kolstadc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #2
Mod

Adding a BB is certainly the easiest and least expensive fix.

The problem with packing out the first floor is it creates issues with window revels, door jambs, etc.

A BB also can be a nice trim detail if you use the right width, x6 is to narrow in most cases IMO. I usually use x8 or x10 and try to set it at a height to match up with any second floor decks if you have them.

Old 07-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #3
Custom Home Builder

If the second floor extends past the first floor and you put a bandboard there to break up the transition, then you need to put a 'Z' bend behind the second floor sheathing and across the top of the bandboard and then down (about 3/8" or so) over the face of the board to divert rainwater.
thomasjmarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 PM   #4

Did you know that T1-11 is structural sheathing? Needs no diagonal or let-in braces... To replace it with OSB (inferior to plywood T1-11) would be a waste of time and money. http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?content=prd_sid_main

Ron mentioned added thickness already and TJM said Z-metal behind the sheathing---- I hope he meant behind the new building paper or housewrap, in front of the sheathing.......

Unless you want a rainscreen below:http://www.greenhomebuilding.com/pdf/RainScreen.pdf

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overlap, siding, t1-111