DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Remodeling (
-   -   Help with retrofitting shower trim (

agape 03-26-2013 11:10 AM

Help with retrofitting shower trim
2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I am trying to remodel my 19-year old shower/tub. The shower trim that I took out was made by Harden. This brand no longer exists (I think). Since I am an amateur DIYer, can someone please suggest a shower trim kit that will retrofit this valve - so I don't have to take out the tiles and replace the valve? Thanks! :)

djlandkpl 03-26-2013 11:29 AM

That looks like a Symmons valve. Take a look at their website and download the technical specs for a Temptrol valve. It should give you the screw spacing for the cover plate.

The only hiccup could be is the Symmons trim has a center ring that screws onto the valve and then the cover plate goes around it.

It's worth a try. I believe you can buy all of their products as just the trim, no valve.

joecaption 03-26-2013 04:10 PM

They were bought out by this company.

I just Binged Harden and lots of sites came up still selling parts.

agape 03-27-2013 01:14 AM

Thanks for your help, guys!

I now am 100% sure it is a Symmons valve - I dug a little deeper and saw "Symmons" engraved on the right side (when I am facing the wall) of the valve.

I also went onto the Symmons' website as suggested and found they have a lot of "collections" including Temptrol, Temptrol II, etc. Is screw spacing for the cover plate my only drawback from choosing other collections from Symmons or is Temptrol my safest bet based on what you see?

djlandkpl 03-27-2013 07:48 AM

You can select any of the collections as the Temptrol valve is common to all of them. Temptrol is a valve and a collection.

Many of the new trims do not have exposed screws which makes for a clean look. There is a plastic plate that screws onto the valve and the finish plate clips onto it.

Each collection is sold in different configurations, ie. shower only, tub shower with spout diverter, tub/shower with handle diverter. Each has a different model number. The trim only model will end in -TRM. You have a handle diverter.

I have seen some retrofit kits in Home Depot. You'll have a better choice online. Most of them are likely special order so give yourself at least 2 weeks to get it.

I've had great luck with If you can't find what you need, they will get it for you. If you get stuck on what to order, the Symmons 800 customer service line is very helpful.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1