Help With Really Odd Closet Doors! - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Help with really odd closet doors!

I'm out of ideas for my master bedroom closet doors. This is a long-term flip, we're hoping to sell in April of '14.

Each side opening is exactly 47 inches wide, so currently they're symetrical. The center partition cannot be removed (as far as I know) as it supports the half wall thing above it.

I thought about very narrow French doors, but I'd have to add casing on the far right side so the door will open and can be trimmed, since the current opening just ends on the wall.

I thought about bi-folds, but I don't know how I would add trim to that right side, or to the top of the opening to hide the tracks.

One big door on each side would be too big. Curtains... not good enough to resell I don't think, especially in the master bedroom.

I'm really really stuck. HELP!

Help with really odd closet doors!-master-closet.jpg

Advertisement

bksullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Bifolds would be easiest next to sliders though you'd likely have to trim them a bit. The track can usually be hidden with quarter round or another profile depending on the height of the opening. Double swinging doors would have to be totally custom but still doable if you have the ability to build or the cash to buy.

Advertisement

iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iminaquagmire For This Useful Post:
bksullivan (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The height is about 72 inches. Quarter round might work, hadn't thought of that. I was concerned about adding trim to just the top without finishing the sides as well (which I'm not sure I can do thanks to Mr. Difficult Right Side), but a quarter round probably wouldn't look enough like actual trim to make it visually incomplete.

There were originally sliders in these openings, but with them you could only see about 21" of closet at a time, so they were SUCH an annoyance and hassle.
bksullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
K&B Designer

I'd reframe the whole thing so it actually made sense as a single closet rather than two separate closets. The vertical member in the center doesn't carry any real load of the decorative niche above, just the framing and drywall. Reframe it with a single header instead of two. Create the trim/mini-wall needed at the sides. Then use bifold doors.
joecaption (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #5

What I meant with the quarter round was only to hide the track for the bifold doors, which are usually set back in the opening a little bit. You have drywall wrapped jambs which don't usually get casing. Also, with a 72" height, any store bought door won't fit without trimming a lot off the top and/or bottom.

As for removing the divider, it looks like it is the full width all the way to the back wall. While I've seen some stupid walls built, I'd be concerned that it hid some kind of ductwork or structure.

Last edited by iminaquagmire; 11-04-2013 at 12:34 PM.
iminaquagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 712

I agree with the idea of reframing the opening.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Another vote for reframing. Frame it with 2x6 for the header at the front, and 2x4 for the top, with maybe 1/2" plywood, and then use 1/2" or 5/8" Drywall on top of that. It should then be able to hold any kind of weight placed on top.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
closet , closet doors , framing , remodel , trim