Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

HELP PLEASE replacing rotted sole, top and bottom plate

Hi,

I need to replace the sole plate and the bottom plate. I have a walkout basement so the plates are on the second floor there is no attic it is a cathedral ceiling. how do I jack up the house to replace this. it looks like i have double 2x4 for the bottom plate with the 4" side facing me. the one in the back looks ok. And is supporting the rear of the studs, the floor joist run parallel with this wall. Any way to replace it in section? It is 24’ long the rot starts about 4’ off each end. If I can do 6’ section the wall could support its self. Right now I have a 4’ section apart the sole plate is off but I have a piece of 2x4 on the rear of the studs then resting on the back of the bottom plate that is healthy. My thoughts are dig out the front bottom plate and drop a new piece of PT wood in then hammer in a new sole plate. My concern is supporting the wall. I have a 2x4 and a 4x4 on the inside as close the wall supporting the floor board but I don’t think this actually supports the wall. The floor board goes between the bottom plate and sole but is also somewhat rotted in area and cannot be replace best I can figure is leave the floor board (plywood) out and use a filler then on the inside hammer in 2x4 between the joist and the wall as added support when done, any suggestions would be great.

Last edited by dolson; 04-13-2010 at 09:08 PM.
dolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 78

How about a picture?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 PM   #3

The plates are not in tension so I don't see why they can't be made up of many small pieces, put in one at a time. But they may need through-bolts since pieces this short may split easily.
IMO, the pieces are only needed under the vertical studs but photos or diagrams will help.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 04-13-2010 at 09:23 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #4

Thanks I wll get picutes once i can get a hold of a camera, the piece will be about 4 to 5' long.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #5

Still looking for a camera but actual already have allot accomplished. the bottom plate is two 2x8 against each other sitting on the 2" side. the back one is good as I previously thought. I got the front one out easy enough with all the studs resting on the back one.

I went out 4' from the corner of the house and then replaced a 6' section all in one piece, after that the board is solid for the other 14'. my now question become what should I use to secure the two bottom plates together? I have a local handy man working on another project he said to just us 3" galv screw. I used them sparingly to just hold the board inplace incase I need to use something else. Should I continue to use them to finish attaching the board or should I be using a nail? I could do a couple through bolts but the head wouldn’t sit flush for when I attach the siding, are those screws ok to use? Their home depot deck mate screws.

Thank you for your help and expertise

Tags
bottom plate, rotted, rotted osb, sole