Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2010, 08:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help ... permits

This was not my intention tonight when I sat in front of my computer ... but while I was looking up something else, I ran across this site. The subject was on permits ... and insurance companies not covering damages for work w/out permits.... help me ... I purchased a flip in May 06. In the 4+ years I have been at this house, the "new paint" has failed and exposed a major disaster. I was petrified to read about the permit thing . . . If these guys I bought the house from didn't get the proper permits, what can I do now? Am I stuck w/everything. I live in VA.

joyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help ... permits

Exposed what disaster ?
What specifically are you worried about ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help ... permits

If you are referring to the EPA RRP lead regulation, I don't think it applies to homeowners doing their own renovations. If the house was built before 1978, it probably contains lead based paint. It is not a problem if it not dusting or flaking, encapsulating it(new paint job) seals things up. If you have flaking paint, seal off other rooms with plastic to keep dust out, use a quality dust mask, clean up all walls/floor/ceiling after painting with a good shop vac or damp clean.

This regulation is just another government ploy to gain power, take our money. It increases the cost of renovations and makes it harder for the people most affected, lower income, to afford. IMHO, the commercials you hear on the radio are largely scare type propaganda.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote