Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with mold in baseboards

Hello

I'm renting a home and one of the baseboards in the basement closet has a little bit of black surface mold, I'm currently running a dehumidifier to keep things dry. It gets worse whenever it rains so I'm certain that the water is coming from the outer walls. My question is after I replace the baseboards and prime it with killz paint to help stop the mold, what else can I do help at least contain it? ripping the wall down isn't an option. And also to seal the bottom of the baseboards what product would you recommend?

Thanks

conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Are you renting it TO someone or FROM someone? Who said ripping the wall down isn't an option? If there's mold back there it should come down for the safety of whoever is living in the house.

When you say it gets worse when it rains are you talking about the quantity of mold/mildew or the dampness in that area?

You can check the grading around the exterior in that area and see if water is maybe pooling up and soaking its way in. Also if there is a gutter in that area make sure it's working properly. Do you know if the house has a perimeter drain system and/or a sump pump? If it does I would make sure it's also working properly.

What flooring do you have down? I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about sealing the bottom of the baseboard.

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I'm renting the house from a landlord, the landlord is a deadbeat and when i brought up the issue i was told it's just surface mold and nothing to worry about. I'm going to deal with the problem myself because i need to keep renting this house for a couple more months till i move. I have lived here for 16 months and the problem has worsened how dangerous is it? Both the quantity of the mold and the dampness increase when it rains. And I'm unsure about a perimeter drainage system but I know it doesn't have a sump pump and when I asked what product to use to seal the baseboards i meant caulking?
conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Could you take a couple pics and post them here?
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,056

posting here wont fix anything.. deal with the landlord accordingly, if they dont respond. call the tenancy board
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,066

It doesn't sound like there's a huge problem, but any mold at all is an issue. Some people are very sensitive to it. A guy I worked with had to move out of his house because his wife and child were constantly sick due to mold from improperly installed windows.

If you get no satifaction from the landlord, I'd talk to the Health Department. Depending on how bad they determine the problem is, the house could be condemned until the mold is abated.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseboards, fix, mold, paint, seal