Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

Share |

help me with my drop ceiling question

I am installing a drop ceiling in the basement. The windows are a few inches above the height of the ceiling grid. I came up with a angle to compensate for this. However I am having a problem figuring out what to do by the steps that come downstairs. The steps come down and the stair well ceiling ends where the rafters start . My ceiling grid is approx 5-6 inches lower and prevents me from attaching to the non existent wall with my grid angle. do I need to build a small wall to be able to run grid to around the stairway opening? Im open for suggestions, Please help

Shawn Bellanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

First off, what is the raw ceiling height from unfinished floor, to the joists above, and also what is the height from the lowest point in the room (ie return or supply trunk) to the floor?

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
First off, what is the raw ceiling height from unfinished floor, to the joists above, and also what is the height from the lowest point in the room (ie return or supply trunk) to the floor?
Ok im guessing at this because i am no longer at the house where im working. I believe the celing height is a little under 9'. my lowest point is about a foot lower. only the size of a heat/ AC duct.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Bellanca View Post
Ok im guessing at this because i am no longer at the house where im working. I believe the celing height is a little under 9'. my lowest point is about a foot lower. only the size of a heat/ AC duct.
You need to go to that house where you are doing the work, if it is your own, and make the measurements, not just come up with some raw number.

If you are just a handyman doing work for someone else, really cannot go further on this, unless it is a job that the homeowner has made sure that a permit is not or is needed for the job, since it also involves placing electrical fixtures into the drop ceiling, and that the drop ceiling grid needs to be properly secured.

As for dealing with the windows, usually boxes are built around them, and out to a point, where the first row, which should also be the same as the row where the windows are, aprox. the same width. The last thing you want, is a full row on one wall, and a 2" or 4" strip where the windows are.

Post the height measurements, room dimensions, diagram showing windows exactly from starting at one wall, measuring across, with the length from each wall to each window, and in between each window.

Giving the room wall measurements, helps in helping you lay out how to place the grid, and make it appear professional, not like something that was just thrown up on a weekend by a homeowner in a hurry.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #5

Thank You for your tips. I am a home owner and any thing you can tell me,I do appreciate. This is one of my rentals and I was trying to save some money by doing it myself. I do have a electrician doing all of my electric work. I will make sure to over support the grid, and end up with equal size tiles on all sides. My main question was really, what to do about around the stair well.? Maybe ill just build it down a foot, drywall it, and run that side of the grid into it. unless there is another way..?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

You really do not need to over support, just make sure that you use the proper gauge tie wire to secure the grid to the eyebolts that will be used to attach the hang wires for the grid, then just follow the directions to tie the wires to the grid.

And always store extra tiles somewhere dry, because you will need them later, when a renter punches a tile, or accidentally breaks one moving it over for some inherent reason.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Bellanca View Post
Thank You for your tips. I am a home owner and any thing you can tell me,I do appreciate. This is one of my rentals and I was trying to save some money by doing it myself. I do have a electrician doing all of my electric work. I will make sure to over support the grid, and end up with equal size tiles on all sides. My main question was really, what to do about around the stair well.? Maybe ill just build it down a foot, drywall it, and run that side of the grid into it. unless there is another way..?
The old drop ceiling in my place was a lot like that. They built a drop ceiling grid into the space and cut a ceiling panel to fit that sat nearly vertical. It looked horrid and was always in view as you walked down the stairs.

Framing it out with drywall is the best option IMHO. It's a small area so fairly easy.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateuralex View Post
The old drop ceiling in my place was a lot like that. They built a drop ceiling grid into the space and cut a ceiling panel to fit that sat nearly vertical. It looked horrid and was always in view as you walked down the stairs.

Framing it out with drywall is the best option IMHO. It's a small area so fairly easy.
I framed it out and drywalled it. It looks professional. Thanks for answering my question and not making me feel like a idiot by bringing up everything but the question i asked.