Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Edie

Share |
Exclamation

HELP! How can we do this?!

I hope you experts can help!!

We've opened up some doorways in our living room and dining room and now - because we're working to maintain (or capture where necessary) a vintage feel in the house - we want the corners of these new "archways" to be decorative.

Here's what the doors used to look like:

And here's what they look like now (excuse our reno mess!):
From the kitchen...

From the living room...

The tops of the walls in the living room look like this:

What I want to do is to mimic the living room wall's curves in the corners of our archways... like this inspiration photo:

We'd like to do a smaller version of this because our archways aren't as high.

So... on Monday we have a plaster craftsman coming to repair the plaster in the living room (you can see the crumbled plaster in one of the living room photos above). While he's here he's also going to finish off these archways for us (tying in the plaster of the living room with the drywall in the dining room).

Now = I was surprised by this because I thought this was something the plaster-guy would be able to supply... but he asked my husband to purchase the forms required for the archway corners. My husband spent yesterday going to various drywall supply stores as well as some buildling supplies stores without luck. No one had forms.

Now we're faced with somehow making the forms ourselves... and we don't have much time!

What I need to know... how do we make forms for our corners?! We have a few ideas of our own, but our biggest challenge - we feel - will be perfect curves... a jigsaw doesn't make perfect curves! Maybe a totally perfect curve isn't totally important because the plaster-guy will use drywall around the form???

Any advise or direction you can provide would be appreciated!!!

EdinDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #2

HELP! How can we do this?!

You would make the forms out of plywood. The thickness would need to be determined by the plasterer and his methodology in lathing the form. Wire mesh would be the preferred method in this case.
The forms do not need to be, "perfect", as a plaster craftsman should be able to make any adjustments to compensate for minor variations.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote