Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2007, 07:37 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Help ~ Completing clueless about pricing...

I am getting quotes from a contractor for removing popcorn ceilling and getting 8" crown moulding for a 500 sq ft room... how much would be reasonable? ... worry i will get ripe off... thanks

meagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 07:55 PM   #2

Are they going to re-texture the ceiling?
If the popcorn ceiling has never been painted you could save yourself a couple of hours of paying someone and do it yourself.

It is really simple. Fill a spray bottle with water and mist the ceiling to dampen (not soak) and then take a drywall knife and scrape off. It's messy but pretty simple.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by meagan View Post
I am getting quotes from a contractor for removing popcorn ceilling and getting 8" crown moulding for a 500 sq ft room... how much would be reasonable? ... worry i will get ripe off... thanks
Simple solution, if you are not going to DIY, then have at least 3 or 4 reliable contractors (research them) bid on the job. That way you can weed out the ridiculously high bids and you will know which ones are in the ball park and which ones aren't. Check ref's and the BBB.

Here's an example of one I just went through --needed extensive concrete work and could not DIY because of the amount and scope of job. I had it quoted by multiple contractors, ended up going with the one that I liked the best, but he wasn't the cheapest. The catch is that he was still 20grand cheaper than the highest bidder. That's right --20grand!! I could not believe it!

When you cannot DIY always quote, quote, quote. That is how you avoid getting ripped off.
Medium_Pimpin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:56 AM   #4

How many linear feet of crown molding? About 90' from my calculation. What type of material is the crown molding? Paint grade, plastic, hardwood? Is 8" the correct size?
These all impact the cost of the job.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #5

Cool

Hi thank you everyone for your help
... I am not that "hands on" for this type of job, and therefore, will probably need to hire someone (for sure). To answer some of your questions to help me with my problem:
(1) The Crown Moulding is not wood... I was told it is a new material that would have the same result as "plaster".... so, this makes it harder for me to know if I am over charged
(2) Size of crown moulding - yes, it is 8 inches in height...
(3) Popcorn ceiling - this is a brand new condo... i just close 4 days ago, and therefore, it is never been painted before... does this mean it will make it easier for the contractors?
Hopefully, someone can help me get a range of the budget, and hopefully I will pay a fair price for the job...
Thanks everyone for your help
Old 07-28-2007, 10:05 PM   #6

You are probably right... right now i only have one contractor... I should get another quote after this one... but that means I wouldn't be able to move to my new place sooner :O.... but I guess it is worth the wait
Old 07-28-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
Custom Cabinet Maker

Crown sounds like the newer Polyurethane ( plastic) material. Not too bad to work with shows more fingerprints, should be glued and tacked
rest I dont know I would think painting new material should be no problem at all
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #8

If the popcorn ceilings are not painted(which is unlikely) it will be easier to get off. You just spray with water, let it soak in and scrape off. It will need repeated applications to soften up.
You might need the ceilings to be skim coated or recompounded. Popcorn ceilings are put up so the taping imperfections are hidden.
When you speak to contractors you need to get specifics about finish products. A generic "8" crown molding" description is not useful in comparing estimates. Get the make, model number and material it's made from. Then you can compare apples to apples.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote