HELP! Ceramic Tiled Ceiling In Basement Bathroom.... - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HELP! Ceramic tiled ceiling in basement bathroom....

I just purchased my first house. 1959 brick bungalow. Great first home. The owners before me did a great job on updating the basement, windows, etc.

I have an issue with the downstairs shower.

First; The lady friend loves the ceramic ceiling. The bad part about it is the trap from the upstairs bathtub is sticking out through the tile above the shower. Also the drain pipe or vent pipe from the bathtub upstairs is also exposed and runs to the stack in the corner of the bathroom. Stack is not visible but the vent pipe is.

I am worried that moisture from the shower will get up inside the ceiling and ruin the drywall (cement board). Around the trap there is a nicely cut square hole with no visible studs to make a box around the trap. The previous owner brought the ceiling down 3" above the shower but that still wasn't enough for the trap.

In place of the tile if I was to rip it down and properly hide everything I was going to replace the ceiling with the Armstrong Grid system an anti sag type tile (Humid Guard Plus or Extra). Now obviously the lady friend saw this and was completely against this because she likes the tile.

Would this have to be a complete remodel of the ceiling to drop it down and retile? Or could box this trap in somehow??

Advertisement

jrutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,612

HELP! Ceramic tiled ceiling in basement bathroom....

Quote:
I was going to replace the ceiling with the Armstrong Grid system an anti sag type tile...
HUGE MISTAKE!!!

You better listen to your lady friend if you know what's good for you!

Advertisement