Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Help!!!

I am needing some help. I have painted and wallpapered different rooms in my house and grandmothers. I have a few people I work with wanting me to paint and wallpaper for them. The thing is I don't know how much to charge them. I would like to get into this a hopefully start a business. Someone please help.

tuttleam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 AM   #2

Help!!!

As a suggestion, call a few painting contractors in your local area and ask how much they charge. Do they charge "by the job" or "by the hour"? For simple walls do they charge a lower cost (compared to a high stairway costs)? If they need a visual, ask them to visit your home and provide estimates on a few rooms. Take their estimates (time and dollars) and determine if you can "clone" their methods / math formula for providing estimates. Thus, ensuring you are aligned with your competition (in the same market space). From there, determine if you want to charge slightly more or slightly less - then your competiation. For example, seasonal specials, client discounts, sub regions, traveling distance, high ceiling safety risks, etc. etc.

In business, hourly rate isn't standard across the entire country. Its regional based. Thus, keep in mind that your estimates (time and dollars) is based on your specific region - not what other regions might pay.

Hope this idea helps as well....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 AM   #3

Help!!!

Thanks for the help.
tuttleam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #4

Help!!!

I agree completely on the questions to ask. I would look online for sites that show the charges from various companies. Some sites allow you to request a quote and they should break down the charges for you when you submit the request. This may help you figure out how to charge people in the future. HTH!
dekor8r2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #5

Help!!!

You need to figure out how much you need to make an hour and then figure out how long the job should take and times them plus material will be your bid.

First, to find an hourly rate you will need to figure out how much it's going to cost you to operate your business, license, insurance, gas, misc. supplies, your paycheck, etc, etc, etc. There are alot of things to consider so chances are as time goes by you will get a better idea of your hourly rate.

Second, you will need to figure how long the job should take you to complete. This comes with experience. When starting a business you will have jobs you underbid or don't take something into account and not make any money, this is part of the learning process.

That is one way to get the labor price, and for materials you need to figure how much of what you will need and how much they cost.

It will be a pretty big learning process as you go but it can be rewarding. Good luck
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #6

Help!!!

If you want to go into business you'll need to charge real rates that will make you a real income. When you factor in your business expenses, overhead, insurance, workmans comp, benefits, social security etc those rates may initially seem high to you. And your friends may be wanting you to do the job for less than that.

I can't tell you a number, actually only you can can do that after you've figured out your costs and productivity.

If you want to work for your friends for fun then charge whatever but if you want a business you should start out charging a real business rate or else you'll always have to defend why you did so and sos painting for so much less. You want your friends to recommend you based on quality of work not because you are cheaper than the pros.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:18 PM   #7

Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
If you want to go into business you'll need to charge real rates that will make you a real income. When you factor in your business expenses, overhead, insurance, workmans comp, benefits, social security etc those rates may initially seem high to you.
In addition to your income and the company's business expenses, the company must also make a profit.

47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote