Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #1
BPC

Rewards Points: 10

Header for Electrical Box

Hi,

I am installing a 4-gang box in a non-load bearing wall near entrance to hallway in foyer. There is a stud located about 6" from the edge of the doorway and will prevent the box from being nailed to the king stud in the entrance. I would like to cut this stud and install a header.

The question is, can I leave the existing stud that I cut in place and just install a 2x4 top and bottom of the opening with small trimmer studs on the edges or is another method more acceptable?

I wouldn't go to this much trouble just for a switch box, but it will be too far from the edge of the doorway and would be awkward.

Last edited by BPC; 05-12-2010 at 03:05 PM.
BPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC View Post
Hi,

I am installing a 4-gang box in a non-load bearing wall near entrance to hallway in foyer. There is a stud located about 8" from the edge of the doorway. I would like to cut the stud so I can nail the box to the king stud in the entrance.

Can I leave the existing stud that I cut in place and just install a 2x4 top and bottom of the opening with small trimmer studs on the edges?

I wouldn't go to this much trouble just for a switch box, but it will be too far from the edge of the doorway and would be awkward.
How about installing 2, 2 gang boxes on each side of the stud?

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 03:10 PM   #3
BPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
How about installing 2, 2 gang boxes on each side of the stud?
That would work and save time for sure, but I think the 4-gang has a much cleaner look. I'm also planning to install the security keypad centered directly above the 4-gang and it probably would look funny with two 2-gang boxes. Good idea though, thanks!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

I think your plan would work fine...or if there's a place there it can be installed where there's no stud, get an "old work" box and just attach it to the drywall.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
BPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalAcresRod View Post
I think your plan would work fine...or if there's a place there it can be installed where there's no stud, get an "old work" box and just attach it to the drywall.
Yeah, that was my original plan. but that stud puts an old work box way too far from the doorway. I don't know about you, but it's one of my pet peves, reaching around a doorway for a light switch and not finding one.

When I bought this house I figured out what switches needed to be relocated by remembering the locations where I naturally reached for a switch in the dark. For instance, almost everytime I went to go into the master closet I would reach on the wall inside the closet where there was no switch. The original electricial had put it midway on the wall outside the door. If you were going into the closet as you came into the room, I'd reach for the one outside the door where it was orignally placed. I guess those extra switches cost money so there left out. Needless to say I put another one (3-way) on the other side of the wall.

Last edited by BPC; 05-12-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #6
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

if the wall is already open i would add a stud next to it and notch out the one that is in the way. If it is not a load bearing wall and the drywall is already up,which i am assuming it is, then i would just notch out the stud as needed. Especially seeing there is another stud at least 6" away. All that stud is doing is holding up the DW.

Millertyme is online now   Reply With Quote