Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Header above sliding door - too small?

We have a sliding door (2 panels) in our bedroom. While doing some work on the wall next to it (necessitating removing drywall), we discovered that the header is a solid piece of 6x4 and doesn't appear to abut the double plate at the ceiling. There is just a small flat piece of wood (~4" long) that is jammed between the double plate and header.

We rebuilt a window in the livingroom earlier this year and it had the same thing. We built a header using 2x8's laminated with plywood in the middle which abutted the double plate. So we're trying to figure out if we can do the same thing here? There's no room for 2x12's. I'm just worried about the span and the load since obviously, this is an exterior wall. The house was built in 1959, single-story.

Thanks in advance for the help, I really appreciate it.

hazeldazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 2,112

if its single story you should be fine. just make sure that the header is bearing directly on the jack studs then the " lintels" 2x4's that are horizontal fit between the jacks to build the opening down to the correct height.

for proper load tranfer and reduced crush the header has to sit directly on the jacks

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (10-16-2013)
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Add 2x's vertically (called cripples here), to transfer roof loads from the top plate to the header, 16" or 24" on center. You should be fine if the 6" side is up, not flat; for a 6' span header, a 4x6-solid wood beam 1500#fb, (Doug-Fir), will carry 2840# total, or 490# per lin.ft. Comparison; 2-2x8 (without ply- it will add some strength) same species, will support 3893# total or 648# per lin.ft. These are max, we don't know the header length or house rafter lengths.

Code (IRC not CA) requires 2-2x8 for -6' span, ext. wall AND a 30# per square foot snow load on a 28' house span, you will fine (not much snow in SF), as said already; compare your house size--- http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_5_par024.htm

Snow loads; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_3_sec001.htm

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 10-11-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

thank you for your replies. I'm glad the 6x4 will be sufficient as I do not want to remove the slider door if I don't have to. My other concern was that it really wasn't contacting the double plate at the ceiling except for that one tiny piece of wood in the middle. The door has always operated fine. Our plan at this point is to either cut some cripples or get a piece of wood that is the length of the header and insert it between the header and the double plate (since the space is only 1-2 inches).

The other concern is that it appears there is only one trimmer next to the king stud so I don't know if that's a concern or if we need to shore it up somehow. Since it's only my husband and I, it would be great if we didn't need to take out the slider which is double-paned.
hazeldazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

The link I supplied shows code requirements for number of jack studs per header...

Gary
Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 31

If its been working fine since 1959, I wouldn't worry about it. If the roof trusses run parallel to the wall with the slider, there won't be nearly as much load on it.

d189379 is offline   Reply With Quote