Having Trouble W/ Kitchen Layout - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Having trouble w/ Kitchen layout

Here are some pictures of my kitchen. As you can see the cabinets, like the house, are 80 yrs old and have around 12 layers of paint on them. In addition, the P.O. had this funky blue laminate countertop installed which we are really not crazy about and don't even get me started on the electrical....

Anyways, in the spring it's time to remodel. We've decided to "largely" keep the layout the same to keep costs down. Basically the wall with the sink is going to get gutted so i can insulate and do the electrical. After that we will do the drywall on that wall and get new cabinets, dishwasher and a counter + sink. As you can see we have slowly replaced all the applicances.

The problem is the stove..... as you can see it just sort of "hangs out" there by itself. I'd really like to wrap the new counter around it to the left there so there isn't a giant gap on one side. I don't care if one side has nothing on it, as long as the counter butts up against it on the other side.

If that's impossible then what I was thinking of doing was moving the stove so it's in place of one of the cabinets to the left of the sink and then adding a second counter where the microwave is right now - the problem is the forced air register at the floor level. Is it possible to put some sort of extension on those to have it come out under the cabinets?

Any other ideas welcome.

Advertisement

Last edited by CoconutPete; 01-12-2011 at 07:26 PM.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Coconut Pete's paella!

Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 40

You certainly have your hands full there. The current layout does look quite limiting. Granted, cost is always a concern (for most of us anyway), but is there any way you can take some of that space in the adjacent room behind the refrigerator wall to expand your kitchen?

It would be desirable to have counter space on at least one side and preferably both sides of the range for food prep. The thought about moving it where you suggeste is valid. The range definately does not belong where it is. If you can put in an over-the range microwave that might be a better use of the available space.

Some articles I have read also suggest at least one side of the refrigerator have a counter to place grocery bags prior to loading the refrigerator.

If there was room, I'd suggest everything on the same wall but I see there is not. The fridge might work better where the stove is now if you can work out some sort of solution for the cabinet space to the right of it, maybe a lazy susan corner cabinet if there is room.

If you can intall 12' depth cabinets and cupboards on the wall opposite the sink and dishwasher, that would improve the flow of you kitchen and provide storage. Possibley even a floor to ceiling pantry where the fridge is now. Cabinets do not have to be 24".

As far as the air register goes, what direction do your floor joists run? Is it possible to run a short length of ductwork under the floor and come up in front of the cabinet with a floor vent?
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,208

Challenging--good description---We need Andy Gump on this one--He's a creative designer--actually recommended him to a customer that relocated to his neck of the woods--

Is there any space available that could be stolen from another room??

Last edited by oh'mike; 01-12-2011 at 10:52 PM.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Wow, that is one heck of a setup on your kitchen there. That would take a bit of imagination to come up with something not too expensive and workable.
Have you considered closing up the door? That would free up a bit of wall space for sure.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Residential Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Challenging--good description---We need Andy Gump on this one--He's a creative designer--actually recommended him to a customer that relocated to his neck of the woods--

Is there any space available that could be stolen from another room??

Hah, hi Mike, I was posting just as you were.

Thanks for that.

Andy.
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-12-2011)
Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,208

You are welcome---Glad to see another friendly face here.--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #8
Coconut Pete's paella!

The dining room on the other side of the wall the fridge/ microwave is on is one of our favorite rooms in the house and we'd like to avoid stealing space from it.

There is actually a full length pantry - you can see it in one of the pictures, it's on the other side of the wall behind the stove.

The microwave is being replaced with an above the stove stainless/black version to match the rest of the appliances whenever d-day comes, I figure I gotta get counter space where I can.

Floor joists run from the microwave toward the sink, I never even though of extending the duct and going up through the floor.....

The current setup isn't driving us crazy - it has actually worked amazingly well, and my wife cooks 7 days a week, it's just the gap between the counter and stove that's annoying me the worst....
Old 01-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #9
Residential Designer

You could even bring the ducting up under the base cabinets and install a vent through the toe kick.

Andy.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #10

If you move the stove right to the end of the wall what is the gap remaining from stove to cabinet?
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
You could even bring the ducting up under the base cabinets and install a vent through the toe kick.
Andy.
If we do cabinets over there I'd really like to do that, but I didn't know if the product to do this existed. It sounds like you can verify they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epson View Post
If you move the stove right to the end of the wall what is the gap remaining from stove to cabinet?
Right around 11".
The entire width of the wall (Stove, dead space, counter) is right around 67".

I'm not sure of the minimum distance required in order to get a corner cabinet w/ a lazy susan in there - I really hope there is enough.

One other option I stumbled over is trying to put the stove at a 45 degree angle...

Last edited by CoconutPete; 01-13-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post

Right around 11".
The entire width of the wall (Stove, dead space, counter) is right around 67".
If you have 11'' you can also put a 10'' bank of drawers cabinet with a filler strip or a single full height door cabinet and then change your end cabinet to a blind corner cabinet and put a 90 degree counter on top.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:54 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

coconutpete,

here is what I came up with...

it is basically the same but making use of the existing pantry space... I don't know the exact dimensions of your room or doorways, so you'll have to adjust to fit.

you can make your own floor to ceiling pantry out of vanier plywood and stait or paint to match the rest of the room

hope it is helpful

rod
Attached Thumbnails
Having trouble w/ Kitchen layout-kitchen.jpg  
rditz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rditz View Post
coconutpete,

here is what I came up with...

it is basically the same but making use of the existing pantry space... I don't know the exact dimensions of your room or doorways, so you'll have to adjust to fit.

you can make your own floor to ceiling pantry out of vanier plywood and stait or paint to match the rest of the room

hope it is helpful

rod
Thatís exactly what I was talking about but you put the narrow cabinet on the other side of the stove Ö
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

epson,

There may or may not be enough room for it.. a corner cabinet will impede on the 11" or so.. but if there is enough room, it is always nice to have a counter (even a small one) on both sides of the stove.

rod

Advertisement

rditz is offline   Reply With Quote